Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
200lb to twisted - will this work?
June 03, 2009, 07:59:17 AM
Just doing up a few leaders last night and tied this up.  I know tying a knot or crimping would have been far easier and proven but I had some time on my hands while watching telly.

The twisted leader is 130lb and the single strand is 200lb - I overlapped the two leaders by approximately 10 inches and twisted them together.  I then nail knotted the end of the single to the twisted leader and then the end of the twisted leader to the single.

So just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether it will slip or whether it should hold tight?

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: 200lb to twisted - will this work?
June 03, 2009, 08:08:30 AM
wow that,s a lot of work to do . which you will need to make 20 of them too much trouble .

easy way to do is tie to the swivil 

twist leader then swivel the single leader .

it,s easyer to replace the single leader when they are worn out

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 08:16:45 AM
Don't worry Mick - just passing some time  :)You're right, it is too much work if you want to do a lot of them.  I usually don't use a single strand leader but wanted just a few.  I also don't like the idea of a shiny swivel or crimp halfway along my leader (not that 6 dark knots is much better  ::) :D)

Do you think it will hold or not?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 08:18:10 AM
I don't know but it looks good! The best way is to take it outside, tie it to something and test it to breaking point. It'd be a disaster to lose a good fish if one slipped during a fight.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 09:06:18 AM
Don't worry Mick - just passing some time  :)You're right, it is too much work if you want to do a lot of them.  I usually don't use a single strand leader but wanted just a few.  I also don't like the idea of a shiny swivel or crimp halfway along my leader (not that 6 dark knots is much better  ::) :D)

Do you think it will hold or not?

yeah i have done few of those different leader,s and i know how much time i have spent on them so i find the swicel easyer  :D . i use black swivel so you should be okay .

your new leader give it a try and see how good they go like brandon said .

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 09:15:43 AM
I don't know but it looks good!...

Thanks Brandon  :) Thats pretty much the only reason you'd bother doing it I think...it took a bit of fiddling around.  

Just wrapped one end around my boot and the other around my hand wrapped in a shirt and pulled as hard as I could (without cutting my hand off with the leader :D )- good news is that it didn't budge.  I think i'm happy enough to give it a run.  

yeah i have done few of those different leader,s and i know how much time i have spent on them so i find the swicel easyer  :D . i use black swivel so you should be okay .

your new leader give it a try and see how good they go like brandon said .

I will ultimately go for function over form and use the swivel or crimp technique I think Mick - had my first evidence of this the other day...to choose the white frame with bronze mirror lenses trendy looking sunnies or the bland black ones with the photochromic lenses?? I wanted the photochromic lenses so took function over form and chose the black - i think i'm getting old :D :D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 10:50:02 AM
This is my take on it, alloy crimp (coloured in so its not shiny ;) ) 130lb twisty and 200lb single. I cant budge it but we will see on a big fish.
Going to put the swivel at the lure for easy changes.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 12:29:09 PM
a few of the Nomad guides used to tie on a short bite leader of about 18 inches in something like 300lb mono using a nail knot.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 12:34:58 PM
A single nail knot Brandon?

adrien antunes

June 03, 2009, 03:11:11 PM
I use The Double Surgeon's Knot ,350mono to 130 twisted

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 03:23:43 PM
hmmm whats the double surgeon??

Just did a search...... dont think I'm a fan.

Whats the strength like?
Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:27:42 PM by Warwick

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 07:00:57 PM
I usually don't use a single strand leader but wanted just a few.  I also don't like the idea of a shiny swivel or crimp halfway along my leader (not that 6 dark knots is much better  ::) :D)

Why don't you just tie a PR knot if you wanna use single strand Travis? I like the convenience of twisted leaders for ease of re-rigging but my preference is a single strand of 200lb+ with a PR knot connection... mixing twisted leaders with single strand just complicates things and I can't really see much benefit really.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2009, 07:56:29 PM
Jay, Dunno about travis but my use of the twisty is mainly for the shock absorption rather than abrasion resistance. Thats why I use twist to single.
If single gets worn a new piece can be crimped fast and effective.
 :D I was experimenting with the pr or mid knot today, I recon i nearly got seasick in my living room let alone in a boat :-X

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 04, 2009, 11:55:32 AM
Try a short parallel overlap in the 130lb twisty and 200lb mono enough to crimp 2 x 1.9mm double barrel copper crimps. I also double the 200lb at the end for a bite leader (about 8")and crimp with 2 x 1.6 mm double barrel copper crimps. Nice snug crimps, had no failure yet.
Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:57:51 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 04, 2009, 12:09:01 PM
Try a short parallel overlap in the 130lb twisty and 200lb mono enough to crimp 2 x 1.9mm double barrel copper crimps. I also double the 200lb at the end for a bite leader (about 8")and crimp with 2 x 1.6 mm double barrel copper crimps. Nice snug crimps, had no failure yet.

I agree this is the best way  ;)

I however use aluminium crimps which are then heatshrunk. The aluminium crimps seem to handle 400lb bite leader much better for big NC GTs. I use the copper crimps on sub 200lb leader material.