Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PR knot twist
June 04, 2009, 10:51:19 PM
G'day guys, having a little trouble with the PR knot when I am twisting the bobbin around the leader I have trouble preventing the line from twisting in my hands. I end up tying the knot fine but I need to try and get rid of all the line twist in my mainline and leader when it's completed and it does make it slightly more difficult to tye. It's pretty annoying, anybody else have the same problem or have any solutions?

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Re: PR knot twist
June 05, 2009, 05:17:52 PM
Hey Jay.

I had similar problems when I first started tying the knot as well and found this to help a little:

Make sure that your spool of leader has one of those line keeper covers, or use an elastic band or something and only pull out a short section of leader ( enough to wrap around your finger on your right hand when you start the knot, know what I mean? ) and enough for the area you are tying the knot.
Then while you are tying the initial "loose" wraps of the knot, winding down, allow the spool of leader material to hanging free on a short bit of the leader, it will spin a little while you are wrapping but not too badly.
Then beging the tighter wraps as per normal but with as little "tag" end as possible, so that all your leader is still sitting on the spool. The whole spool itself might spin quite a bit while hanging free, but you won't get as much actual line twist in the leader itself...
I'm not sure if I'm explaining quite right, and it may not be a total preventative method, but it helps some.

The other reason may be that your bobbin is set up too tight while wrapping... I know you want it as tight as possible to create a good bind, but if its too tight, especially with not enough weight in the bobbin, it compounds the twisting issue I've found.... Heavier the bobbin the tighter you can wrap it round the arm of the holder without issues, but if its too tight, I've had that cause some problems...

Dunno if this will help, but its an idea....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: PR knot twist
June 05, 2009, 09:32:34 PM
Yeah I agree. Let the leader spool hang mid air as you swing the bobbin and any twists put into that side of things will spin off. To stop the twists that get put into the braid side from tangling in the leader tag, make the leader tag as short as is workable before starting.
Once I've done the bobbin wraps, I do a first couple of hitches to hold it all together, and release the knot and get all the twists out of the braid section by letting the leader spool spin in the air (holding the braid mainline). That way you can sit down again, get tension on everything again and do your hitches without any twists cluttering things up.
I've found that by spinning the bobbin steadily and fast makes twisting less of a problem. If I go slow, loop the bobbin over one throw at a time or don't have full tension on the braid/leader as I do the wraps - thats when twist in your main lines seems to be worse.