Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 200lb to twisted - will this work?
June 04, 2009, 11:11:09 PM
Jay, Dunno about travis but my use of the twisty is mainly for the shock absorption rather than abrasion resistance. Thats why I use twist to single.
If single gets worn a new piece can be crimped fast and effective.
 :D I was experimenting with the pr or mid knot today, I recon i nearly got seasick in my living room let alone in a boat :-X

haha yeah the PR is a knot that really needs to be tied before a trip. If I'm in a rush to re-rig after a bust off, on goes a twisted leader.

On the subject of shock absorbtion... I've been using fisherman super stealth which is very supple, a little too much for my liking but I feel that it has far more shock absorbtion than any twisted leader I've used..

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2009, 07:06:15 AM
How tight do you get your twists on your twisted leader Jay?  I'd be worried about any single strand that stretches as much as one of the twisted leaders we do up - they really do absorb well.  I think the tighter the twists the more it would absorb - i think?  ??? :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2009, 07:40:40 AM
I think what is important is that stretch in the leader has to occur below the shock absorbtion limit of the braid (and the connection). There is no point if it stretches but the pressure necessary to stretch it is beyond the capacity of the braid to absorb. Like Jay, I find the Fisherman a bit too supple but it sure stretches!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2009, 05:10:11 PM
How tight do you get your twists on your twisted leader Jay?  I'd be worried about any single strand that stretches as much as one of the twisted leaders we do up - they really do absorb well.  I think the tighter the twists the more it would absorb - i think?  ??? :)

Yeah I do mine pretty tight Travis.