Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Low Speed VS. High Speed
May 24, 2007, 06:04:16 PM
I am considering selling my Stella 20000, which is what I currently use for GT popping and buying a Stella 10000 or Saltiga 6000GT to replace it. I've heard high speed reels are much better for GT popping which is why I might go with it. Do you think it would be worth getting the high speed over the low... would I really notice a difference?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Low Speed VS. High Speed
May 24, 2007, 07:13:13 PM
Jay - from an all round perspective, I think it makes a difference but the question is "how much?". How much depends on the type of popper fishing you do. If your primary form is using pencil poppers, then I would suggest to you the difference is significant. On the other hand, if you primarily use chuggers and stickbaits, the difference will be less pronounced.

You can of course work a popper the same speed with a 20000 as you can with a 10000 but you will simply have to work a bit harder. I don't think the difference is as pronoucend as a lot of people think. From memory, its something like five inches difference per turn of the handle. I think it  is something like 42 vs 47 inches (can someone pelase correct me if I am wrong).

if you are currently using the 20000 for jigging, then you will need to appreciate that there is a trade-off to be had here as well.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 07:31:02 PM
if you are currently using the 20000 for jigging, then you will need to appreciate that there is a trade-off to be had here as well.

Yes, indeed.

Thanks for your input Brandon.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 08:47:42 PM
I could never sell my STELLA 20000 although i dont pop much,and if your looking for a safe home for yours JAY i would take it of your hands sweet as,name your price.I think you should save up and get the 10000  but hang on to the 20000 as well,one can never have to many reels,just ask GREG bunny BURT.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:08:30 PM
Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:10:44 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:10:35 PM
Me im counting and saveing sort of

365 days to go
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:29:43 PM
guys, are you going to count down the days until our trip?   :D At this rate, you may as well set up a thread and count down the days!!

I didn't realise it was exactly one year to the day! Well, here something to really make you salivate........I was in touch with Damon a few days ago abuot Marion this year and I have to admit, I was almost having trouble believing it until it was confirmed by someone who was out there. They encountered the biggest GTs that Damon has ever seen anywhere - and that's really saying something. I don't know of too many people who have seen more big GTs than I have over the years but he's definitely one of them!

The anglers got absolutely smashed by massive fish in really shallow water. It sounds like they got it as bad as we did at Shoalwater as 130lb braid wasn't enough. I was within a whisker of going this year to Marion but I just couldn't fit it in between Shoalwater and Bugatti and boy, do i regret it!! They encountered all the big fish over the full moon - see, what did I say about full moons, it isn't just good for werewolves.....

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:37:33 PM
Hmmmmm how does one stop a GT like that ive got one year to work it out
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:52:38 PM
realistically Cam, I don't think you can. In shallow reefy areas like that, big GTs are close to unstoppable. To land one, you simply need to get very lucky and have a fish that doesn't manage to cut you off. Experience does help but luck is far more important. All you can really do is lock up and give it everything you got. The problem is that a really big fish will pull you all over the boat whether you like it or not.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 09:57:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm
pray for luck
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 10:15:20 PM
We are there May 17th-23nd, Full moon May 20 2008 :o, You might have to bring that big rod Bernie, and tie it to the boat.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 10:24:26 PM
Greg - it is no coincidence that we're there on the full moon. If I can, I always plan my GT trips around a full moon or if that is not possible a new moon. Boy, we can only hope for a repeat of what they encountered this year.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 10:37:40 PM
I'm about to go into training mode.
 I just got a couple of spools of YGK Ultra Jigman in today, but only PE 4 / 62lb and PE 6 86lb, might need to get some PE 8 113lb, 'or rope'!.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 10:41:07 PM
Hmmmmm how does one stop a GT like that ive got one year to work it out

Steel cable and a good skipper ;D

I'm convinced it can be done. Not all luck but making sure you are as agile as possible getting the upper on those angles while locked up - will still be a bloody huge challenge though!

Brandon - i heard multiple fish between 50-80kg destroyed them - any more goss?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 10:43:58 PM
I am considering selling my Stella 20000, which is what I currently use for GT popping and buying a Stella 10000 or Saltiga 6000GT to replace it. I've heard high speed reels are much better for GT popping which is why I might go with it. Do you think it would be worth getting the high speed over the low... would I really notice a difference?

Jay,

In an experienced popper fishermans war cache you will find reels of both ratios. Slightly different applications but in the end they can all handle the same lures and retrieves - just with variances of effort.

I seem to be using my 20k's a lot more over the 10k's on my recent expeditions.