Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guide to buying a GT rod
May 12, 2013, 11:06:08 AM
It's a Malaysian company from what I understand but absolutely no idea where they get them made except it isn't Japan!
Weird is a kind word in these circumstances, I think.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 11:25:07 AM
Kind of turns you off the rods I feel... Like they have something to hide... Fraudulent could be another word then Brandon

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 11:34:29 AM
Hey Craig

I have seen  couple of Samurai GT rods in action in Bali both used by Australian anglers. I must say they look nice and use top quality components...... but one broke under load from a medium-sized GT.  Also very fast action from what I could observe.

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 01:15:37 PM
Thanks Mark it just such a big investment to make when it is not used on a regular basis

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 10:01:20 PM
Mark what did you think of the Samurai compared to say a NS Black hole etc.. Was the rod high sticker or just broke from loading

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 10:52:25 PM
I cannot make an objective comparison Craig as I have never used a Samurai, only watched others very briefly.

If you mean the NS Black Hole Cape Cod Popping Special (?) - I think the graphite version is a good rod for the money. Possibly the best sub-$500 popping rod I have ever used.

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2013, 07:03:39 AM
Ok thanks Mark, yeah I was referring to the cape cod special

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 13, 2013, 09:42:33 AM
It's a Malaysian company from what I understand but absolutely no idea where they get them made except it isn't Japan!

but I saw you have one red colour Xzoga rod ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 14, 2013, 09:39:28 PM
That is not my rod, that one is yours! I bought it for you as a present at enormous expense and it is still sitting in my apartment after some three years!

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 14, 2013, 09:49:01 PM
but I refused to accept it and asked you to make gaff out of it (although I'm not sure if it is usable!)   ;D ;D ;D

That is not my rod, that one is yours! I bought it for you as a present at enormous expense and it is still sitting in my apartment after some three years!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 14, 2013, 09:58:19 PM
btw, you have also left a Fisherman rod at my place  >:(

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 14, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
That was your colour scheme and you still want to talk about it!!

OK OK let's throw it as winning prize for MCA tournament this year. I think people will be glad to be second ;D

btw, you have also left a Fisherman rod at my place  >:(

Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
hi folks,

has anyone ever had the chance to compare the heavier versions of the NS Blackhole Cape Cod special and the El Toro rods from Kaiser?
I am looking for a rod that can handle heavy poppers but does not cost a fortune, as there is not that many places you realy need them, or as in my case do not live close to the sea and only do one or two trips a year.
I do have a Yamaga Atlas 76/8 that casts 180g lureswell, but am looking for something a little stronger.
any other rod suggestions in that price range are also welcome.

thx

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 07:56:39 PM
Felix, I don't have experience in the field with either of these rods, having only had the opportunity to check them out in store. I think the best way I would put it is that the El Toro is specially built as a GT rod whilst the Black Hole is specially built as a tuna rod.

If I had to make the choice, very easy for me.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 08:30:20 PM
Some pics of the El Toro 180 V2 lifting 17.5kg, compared to OR Widow Maker and Carpenter 78 UHL..."ease of lift" wise, El Toro 180 V2 and Widow Maker came up tops....surprisingly it was noticeably harder work with the UHL...most effort was needed with KD...we had 2 guys have a go and they felt the same way
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4601/rodbend.jpg

Kaiser El Toro 180 (V2)...about to be launched soon  Stay tuned!

This is a true PE12 stick. The blank easily cleared >25kg at 45 degrees in dead lifts

I had a go trying to clear 15kg weights (with reel & line attached) with the Kaiser El Toro 180 (V2), Carpenter UHL, SMITH KD and OR Widowmaker recently. The results (ease of lift) were quite surprising! Rod bend pics coming soon 

Hope this helps. Looks very similar in power to the widowmaker and that's an awesome heavy popper rod.
Chris