Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guide to buying a GT rod
December 18, 2012, 04:03:02 AM
Hi Michael
Maybe take a look at the heavier end of the Carpenter Endless passion range at the australian carpenter site. Though I only tried the ep85/36 which is not for sticks above 160-170 grams.

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 06:50:03 AM
Michael, to the best of my knowledge, no such rod exists. Carpenter have a WV83 XH STR that would cover 200g stickbaits but isn't really suitable for light weights.

That said, the customisation involved is relatively minor and any half decent rod maker could do this for you. The rods that might suit you as a base (pre-customisation) would be the Carpenter TBL 80/40 or Ripple Fsher Ultimo 79H or 82H. You could also have a look at an FCL UCB81 Extreme M or MH.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 07:59:19 AM
One option would be to go with a Black Hole 86N, and cut 1" or 1.5" inches off the tip to tighten it up a bit to handle the heavier sticks. Then build your buttgrip longer, at maybe 19" to the back of the seat. 200g would be doable and a bit boggy, but it should handle 180 perfectly built at those specs.
More of a parabolic rod than others, so it's not for everyone. They do work stickbaits very nicely.

Dean Gold

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 08:13:51 AM
Patriot Designs make a model called Zanzibar which may be suitable.

I'm in no way an expert but I have the slightly shorter Extreme 80 which I love.

ZANZIBAR 82
MNSG 8'2" Medium fast Max220g PE#8~#12 1&half Giant Trevaly AAA 8kg~17kg Jpy 98000

http://www.patriot-design.com/3collections/collections-e.htm

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
My friend fishes with the Zanzibar, it is a beast of a rod, better for the bigger lures. Sweet rod!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 01:11:03 PM
Coming from a man who broke a BG Jack, that is a scary statement on the strength of the rod!

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 01:56:54 PM
I see the Endless Passion 86/40 R-P1 which is coming next year would maybe an answer, or even the EP 810/42R-P1-ICBM for the real big stick baits.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 10:04:00 PM
Fisherman Big Game 86RS this rod has a long butt section and is great for casting that lure size I thought mine was a bit on the big side but after a few cast its a winner for me

michael langner

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 21, 2012, 07:43:05 PM
thanks guys for your help.
I'll have a look on the EP 810/42R-P1-ICBM and may be the JM GT Monster 8,5 and the Black Hole.
to the Patriot Design Zanzibar, i have it at home.

lets see

Thank you

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 22, 2012, 07:23:12 AM
thanks guys for your help.
I'll have a look on the EP 810/42R-P1-ICBM and may be the JM GT Monster 8,5 and the Black Hole.
to the Patriot Design Zanzibar, i have it at home.

lets see

Thank you

Both the JM and Black Hole are positioned in the lower end of the market, and personally I feel they are barely beg an "average" rating. Definitely not in the realm of being an 'ultimate long cast stickbait rod".

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 11, 2013, 09:47:07 PM
Does anybody have an experience with the xzoga taka pi 7728 rods and where they fit into the market as a popping rod for 80lb

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2013, 10:22:22 PM
Bottom?! Lol

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 09:09:33 AM
Rubbish hey, what about the samurai, or am I better to just bie the bullet and shell out.. Just worried about how much use it will get for the money!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
Craig, that would be unfair. I was simply being tongue in cheek. Based on the experiences of some members on the forum, they seem like capable rods. Xzoga have gotten a little bit of stick in the past. Much of this has come from trying to give the impression the rods are made in Japan (just look at the cosmetics) which they are not and some of their wonderful slogans. Go check their website out!  ;D

I know little about Samurai rods - I didn't even know they made a GT rod.

Another option is to look for a decently priced second hand rod.

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2013, 09:47:27 AM
Yeah I did notice that they were Malaysian ?? But had made in Japan on the rod sticker which I found a bit weird? Have considered the second hand option but without being able to view it I think it a bit risky as they can cop fair but of abuse!! I think it would be fair to say You either get a pretty much unused rod that was bought with the  bet intentions then not used or you get one that has caught a million massive GT's no necessarily thrashed but well used. Plus just starting out in poping makes it difficult to ow exactly what you want in the secondhand market. I am in no rush, have all winter to find what i want so will keep an eye out once I can view the classified..