Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guide to buying a GT rod
August 07, 2013, 07:46:20 PM
As Jon said, the BLC are different.  I have a BLC 83/35 and although it's a great rod it has a very different profile than say my EP 85/36 that, on paper, at least should be similar. GT rods are different.

As Tak has said on his reply in the Carpenter forum, don't rule the Monster Hunter series out.

Although they're considered 'all rounders' they are first and foremost great stickbait rods. The 80H will work a 250 gamma but it's not at it's best...200g Gammas work themselves (kidding!). If you bring your expectation of working 250g down a bit and are comfortable with a longer rod the EP 86/40 is right up there as well.

Regards,

Trevor
Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:49:23 PM by Trevor Skinner

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 11, 2013, 01:37:45 PM
Rory, if you want a GT rod, then look for a GT rod which would be an EP or a TBL, not a BLC.

None of the TBLs are really ideal for a 250 Gamma. It's just pushing the rod too far. I'd be looking a a MH80 or MH79 for that purpose but that said, do you really want to use 250 sized stickbaits regularly?!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 11, 2013, 05:58:20 PM
Brandon , good to see you had a good time in the Cook Is. We've just built  a small holiday house in Avarua , and the Cook Is are where I'll be after GTs.
I don't need to cast big stickaits (250gr) but want a rod to handle bigger stickbaits compared to the 83/21 I currently use , the  onlyexperience I have  here in NZ is with the BLC range of rods , the BLCs I find fold away too much in the 8 foot length when casting compared to the 8'3"/8'4" rods , what I was partly asking was how good do the 8' TBL feel to cast but having read your report perhaps the EP 86/40 would be more suitable .
I

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 11, 2013, 07:37:53 PM
Rory, my suggestion would be the TBL 80/40. The longer rods can be a real handful on a small boat. They're good for casting but are mongrels when the fish is under the boat. I think the TBLs cast very well.

Scott Sloan

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 12, 2013, 12:45:11 AM
Hey lads I'm fairly new to the GT and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the temple reef stealth78hh? To match with my 14000xg Stella . Cheers sloany

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2013, 05:35:55 AM
Rory, my suggestion would be the TBL 80/40. The longer rods can be a real handful on a small boat. They're good for casting but are mongrels when the fish is under the boat. I think the TBLs cast very well.

Thank you , the TBL looks like the one , then.

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2013, 06:41:13 PM
Hi Brandon, just as a matter of course, thanks for this guide, I have read and re read a few times, its very helpful.  There is a wealth of information on this site.

Andy Klaus

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 20, 2014, 05:11:39 AM
Does anyone owns a Carpenter TBL 711/35 here? I have not gotten any solid fish on this rod yet to fully test this rod. Perhaps some owners can share how this rod has performed so far.  :)

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 04, 2014, 08:24:09 AM
Ross, my only caveat is something which I have emphasised in my guide to GT rods and that is to be just that little bit careful is rushing out to buy a rod which suits someone else. There is a GT rod out there to suit everyone but what suits you may not necessarily suit me and vice versa. Mark clearly loves the DJ83MH but I have to tell you that I don't have the same view of the rod. I have a DJ83MH somewhere but it has been so long since the rod has seen the water that I can't remember its last trip. He obviously likes it for its versatility whereas it is that versatility I don't like about it in that there are rods which are purpose specific that do specific tasks better. It's simple - the rod suits how he likes to fish but it doesn't fit in with how I like to fish.

Thats what I like about you Brandon there's no lying in you here as you are trying to get a clear message out there about their wise true GT rod investment as there's so many great reputable rods out there and there's a different rod out there for everyone. Great thread by the way love it very informative indeed as you have a great passion in this field my hats off to you mate.

Regards Richard

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 04, 2014, 11:07:02 AM
Richard - thank you for your very kind words.

Andy, I have used the TBL711/35 for a long time. It is a PE6-8 stickbait rod. 140g surface stickbaits is around its sweet spot. Was there anything you wanted to know specifically? TBLs are my favourite rods although these days, I tend to use an 80/43 most of the time as I like to fish PE10

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 07:13:57 AM
G'day Brandon do you have any knowledge on these PE 10 Temple Reef GT series?
I was looking into these was interested in specs what's your thoughts on them please.

GT 78-10 (Widow Maker)

This is an absolute beast of a rod, and is perfect for chasing monster class GTs in shallow or rugged terrain. Great for working medium to large stickbaits and poppers its light yet has plenty of power for keeping big fish under control. Unlike other rods that employ fast taper designs for stopping power, Temple Reef utilize medium taper and increased hoop strength design to achieve stopping power and yet convey forgiveness to the angler. A great rod for places such as Shoalwater Bay, Southern Oman, New Caledonia or anywhere with big fish and shallow water.

Or this one matey

GT 80-10 (Pathfinder)

This rod has been specifically designed for GT fishing along barrier reefs. When fishing barrier reefs precision casting and distance is the most important aspect when chasing GTs in this type of terrain. GT?s will concentrate in the zone where waves are breaking onto the reef to feed on disoriented baitfish. This zone is a narrow strip that runs parallel along the reef and no more than a few meters wide and it is imperative to land the lure in this zone. The best GT fishing is always on days when there are strong currents or big swells and in these conditions boats have to stay a distance away from the reef for safety reasons. For these reasons you need a rod with the ability to consistently cast 60-80m to reach the zone and these rods are specifically designed for this purpose.

This rod has been designed with casting accuracy and distance in mind, and has a nice medium taper to minimize leverage on the angler when lifting big fish from the depths. Perfect for any barrier reef situation or where casting distance and accuracy is paramount.

Sorry mate I copied & pasted it please forgive us if I breached any rules here as it was the best way to give these rods any justice.

Regards Richard
Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:20:14 AM by Richard Ghalayini

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 08:15:35 AM
Hi Richard
No, I'm sorry but I can't help on Temple Reef. I have had no exposure to these rods at all.

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 09:30:16 AM
Hi Richard
No, I'm sorry but I can't help on Temple Reef. I have had no exposure to these rods at all.

Thank you Brandon regardless for replying on my question.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 09:42:31 AM
Richard, those Temple Reef rods you mention are from the old range and I think you would be better off looking at the Temple Reef Reefer series instead. There are two current models with a couple more in final testing stages.

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 06:20:19 PM
Richard, those Temple Reef rods you mention are from the old range and I think you would be better off looking at the Temple Reef Reefer series instead. There are two current models with a couple more in final testing stages.

Thanks for that Mark are they much chop how do they weigh in to the test have you ever used them before or know of their reputation? I seen a couple of YouTube clips both promo and boys trips of the widow maker it showed true merit from what I viewed.