earlhamilton

Getting ready for my Nomad trip to the Diamond Islets in November, so I'm building a couple of Jigging Master 500's with big Dogtooth in mind. This leads me to ask a question to those who have some experience with doggies-do they show any preference for long or short stroke jigging?
I know that fish never follow the supposed rules in fishing, but they do show general trends, as such and with the dogtooth as the particular quarry in question, I can design the build of the rod according to their preference,if they have any !
Thanks guys.
PS I would also like to know which jigs Doggies seem to prefer ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Earl

Again, I'll preface my comments with the fact that I am a terrible and in fact, disgraceful jigger. The only reason I catch fish when I jig is because either the fishing Gods feel sorry for me or the fish think whatever the jig is that I am using is so sick that it deserves to be killed.  I wish the rest of the guys who actually know how to jig would respond to jigging questions!   :D

From my experience and observations (and I have absolutely no empirical evidence to support this), I'll split doggies into two populations which is monster class (over 80kgs or so) and the rest. The monster class fish seem to react well to large slow jigs for some reason. The rest seem to react to speed. Whether you use a long or short stroke, it feels to me like the faster you can get that jig moving, the more likely you are to hook up. Personally, I think that if you like the long stroke, you're better off with a longer rod for the simple reason that the stroke is longer and you can really give that jig a rip.

If you're really serious about huge monster class doggies, you can't go past a live mack tuna or equivalent about 2-3kg in weight but of course, that is not jigging. I have to admit though that while I've hooked bloody heaps of big doggies, I've never been successful in actually getting a true monster class fish to the surface. They just end up doing terrible things to my braid and swim off with another jig. This is probably as much a reflection of my jigging ability as of the difficulty of trying to extract a really big fish from a tough area.

What I will say is that if you can fish really heavy braid on a brutal drag setting, you just may be able to slow a huge fish down enough to prevent it getting its head down. Good luck!!  :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
To date I only managed to nail the doggies on short jigs like Jigace, Sevenseas "hooker 1" and Patriot Design "Blast Edge".

No luck on long jigs yet.  ???

Still searching for the ultimate dog that's >80kg mark. :D

Narc

To date I only managed to nail the doggies on short jigs like Jigace, Sevenseas "hooker 1" and Patriot Design "Blast Edge".

Please bring me along ......

Andrew Gadd

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Has anyone else found that doggies often grab the bottom half of the jig?

Ran into this problem jigging in Tonga. We'd come up tight on them, get a good first run and then lose it. Inspecting the jig afterwards, we'd find a nice set of peg teeth marks below the assist hook.  :o

Might be worth considering a stinger hook, especially on a long jig. Gotta be quick to get off the bottom though!

For the record, long stroke worked best for us in Tonga. Can't wait to get back there and have another crack at them!

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Please bring me along ......

No problem if your time permits but that will be in 2010 liao. Still in early planning stage ;)

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Has anyone else found that doggies often grab the bottom half of the jig?

Ran into this problem jigging in Tonga. We'd come up tight on them, get a good first run and then lose it. Inspecting the jig afterwards, we'd find a nice set of peg teeth marks below the assist hook.  :o

Might be worth considering a stinger hook, especially on a long jig. Gotta be quick to get off the bottom though!

For the record, long stroke worked best for us in Tonga. Can't wait to get back there and have another crack at them!

If the jig is long, it'll better to put another stinger hook at the bottom or center if the jig has additional eye.

For my case on using short jig, it ended up inside the dog throat.  :) Long stroke works best for me as well and I don't let the jig touch the bottom when targetting doggies. Coloured PE line helps in this aspect.
Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:32:57 AM by Kenny

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
bro, get ur guns and ammo ready for next yr . . . hahaha : )