Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
80lb Tuf Line on 18000SW, how much?
June 15, 2009, 08:53:27 PM
Wondering if anyone has loaded a Stella 18000SW with 80lb Tuf Line XP, how much did it take? I have a 300 yard (274m) spool wondering if i may need to use backing

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: 80lb Tuf Line on 18000SW, how much?
June 15, 2009, 09:05:33 PM
Yes you will need a little backing Andrew... the 18K will fit about 340m of 80lb tufline or about 10-12 wraps of electrical tape, then 300 of 80lb tuf line.
<*///><

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 15, 2009, 09:15:56 PM
Thanks Rob, exactly what i was after, saves removing it and rewinding it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 15, 2009, 09:43:07 PM
Just make sure you check for "coning" early... I have 2 18K's and one needed a washer removed... the other needed 3 washers added... go figure ???
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 15, 2009, 11:22:33 PM
Just make sure you check for "coning" early... I have 2 18K's and one needed a washer removed... the other needed 3 washers added... go figure ???

Although it may look ok to the eye - you may want to make sure all that tape is level! So much tape isn't necessary unless you want to chew up the capacity.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2009, 01:26:32 PM
whats the go with the supplied tape? try as i might i couldn't get the white backing to seperate from the tape. i did get the clear piece to come away from the other side, which was not sticky at all. and the silvery bit although a little sticky didn't stick to the spool ??? ???

anyway i ended up using some acid free double sided tape (looks a bit like regular cellotape) used to stick prints into picture frames. figured not only is the tape sticking to the spool but the backing sticking to the tape-extra insurance

wound backing (40lb mono) very tight to get a bit of stretch into it may not have put enough on, the line ended up about 1mm or so below base of tapered spool lip, what is the correct height Luke?

also is there any chance of collapsing/deforming spool due to over tensioning (i have heard of this happening)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 17, 2009, 01:36:02 PM
whats the go with the supplied tape? try as i might i couldn't get the white backing to seperate from the tape. i did get the clear piece to come away from the other side, which was not sticky at all. and the silvery bit although a little sticky didn't stick to the spool ??? ???

Well the sticky side is where the white backing is in contact with the silver section. Anyway, I don't use it so can't comment on it's effectiveness.

wound backing (40lb mono) very tight to get a bit of stretch into it may not have put enough on, the line ended up about 1mm or so below base of tapered spool lip, what is the correct height Luke?

also is there any chance of collapsing/deforming spool due to over tensioning (i have heard of this happening)

1mm from the start of the taper should be fine.

Deformation of the spool is not likely to happen with these reels - and i've never heard of it happening to a Stella. Used happen more commonly to graphite spooled reels and cheaper metallic ones of yesteryear - not so much these days.

Luke

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2009, 04:52:02 PM
thanks for your help Luke.

i was hoping not to have to use tape at all. did 3 wraps of the backing but still slipped around. i figure its a combination of the super hard/smooth coating on the spool and the smal arbor size, not alot of surface area. no complaints, weather looking magic up here early next week which is rare this time of year so hopefully get it out there and get connected...