• Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Twisted Leaders: Instructions + Diagrams
December 08, 2008, 02:41:58 PM
hello Luke,
Once you have done your twisted leader knot how would you tie your braided line to the leader. Do you use a single strand or a double loop attached to the leader.
Any infor would be most helpfull

Hi Stuart, a bimini is formed in the mainline to form a loop. Both loops are then catspawed together.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I threw together this very rough catspaw guide for connecting the twisted leader to bimini for a mate.  There are a few different ways of doing it but this one works for me with no failures to date.  It would just sit on my hard drive and never be used again but figured i'd pop it up in this thread, someone may get some tips from it?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I threw together this very rough catspaw guide for connecting the twisted leader to bimini for a mate.  There are a few different ways of doing it but this one works for me with no failures to date.  It would just sit on my hard drive and never be used again but figured i'd pop it up in this thread, someone may get some tips from it?

Yep that's EXACTLY the way I do mine. Saw it done by Che Carson from Bluewater Tackle on another site. Works well huh?

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Right Click
>
Save
>

Thanks Travis!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Right Click
>
Save
>

Thanks Travis!
wait that would be 5 buck :D :D :D ::)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Yep that's EXACTLY the way I do mine. Saw it done by Che Carson from Bluewater Tackle on another site. Works well huh?

Yeah, never had a single failure Jay so happy to do it that way  :)

Right Click
>
Save
>

Thanks Travis!
wait that would be 5 buck :D :D :D ::)

How cheap do you think I am Mick?!? A hand drawn in MS-DOS Paint original like that is up there with the classics...lucky I kept the watermarked original for sale verification and only posted the print up here  ;) :D

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Old Mick...

Always looking to make a dollar... ::) :D :D

Pete

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
December 09, 2009, 12:09:03 PM
FWIW
I used to get Maria to help me with twisties but she says I yell at her when she lets the tension off and the whole thing curls up in a little ball; so I came up with this method of doing my own single handed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IofvuXnmRNU#noexternalembed

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2009, 02:03:26 PM
FWIW
I used to get Maria to help me with twisties but she says I yell at her when she lets the tension off and the whole thing curls up in a little ball; so I came up with this method of doing my own single handed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IofvuXnmRNU#noexternalembed

great work Trevor, good solo technique.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 21, 2010, 12:29:17 PM
Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how Kenzaburou Fukui ties up his GT rigs?  He doesn't seem to have a twisted double leader, and his mono-split ring connection looks like he's using a short section of heavy duty braid or something.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2010, 12:46:22 PM
Not 100% sure but it looks like a standard single strand leader with a Kevlar bite leader
If it swims; I want to catch it!

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 21, 2010, 01:24:51 PM
I currently run a 80lb braid connected to 170lb leader via an FG knot,  I run the leader through a 5/0 barrel swivel using a flemish eye, and twist and crimp the remaining tag end for about a ft length.  I would like to find a slimmer more streamlined system to throw.  I was thinking about running straight 300lb test, My goal would be to get away from a twisted leader, I realize this would sacrifice the shock leader system. 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2010, 05:53:21 PM
If you are happy to do without a shock leader, you could consider something like a bimimi to a segment of kevlar which you splice a loop into for the connection to the bimini double.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 01:01:44 PM
with the cat's paw, do you guys do 5-6 times around each leg of the bimini or just one? been using another method, not sure what its called but catspaw seems easier?

Thanks

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 01:35:56 PM
there are a number of ways, varying in complexity. The catspaw works fine provided you make sure it is done correctly in terms of how it grabs around the twisted leader. See the attached link:

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=506.0

with the cat's paw, do you guys do 5-6 times around each leg of the bimini or just one? been using another method, not sure what its called but catspaw seems easier?

Thanks