Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Twisted Leaders: Instructions + Diagrams
January 28, 2010, 01:48:33 PM
thanks for the link Brandon, so I take it we only need to wrap it around one leg of the bimini 5-6 times? I was always under the impression you do it on both legs? i.e- wrap 5 times on one leg, then 5 times on the other?

Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 02:01:41 PM
You don't have to but as I said, there are a number of different approaches to this. Five turns around one leg and it's done. Just follow what I had in the link I provided. With six turns, you might find that it is difficult to get both legs the same length and then you're buggered!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Chris - you're a bloody pain! I had to find that old e-mail, copy the photo to my drive and then load it on imageshack to display it here.

The Chris Young atatchment to a twisted leader. You don't need a bimimi for it.

Brandon/Chris, You my be able to help out. What knot is this? Or how do I tie it.
Im trying to tie a twisty to single strand Varivas PE10.
I want to get away from using a Bimini Twist as I just about lost my stripper eye with it catching on it. I know to tie shorter doubles, but this eradicates the problem all together.

Jarrad

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Brandon and Crusty, I too would like to know. To me, that looks like an Albright finished off with a series of alternating half hitches.  :-\

My brother actually uses an Albright to attach his twisted leaders, because he hates tying bimini's  ;D To be fair, he's never had one fail, but I can't say I'm a fan of Albrights when tied in heavier braid.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Yeah I like the look of that, I hate tying doubles but definately see the attraction of a longer twisted leader in some of the nasty reefy territory....any chance of sharing Chris?

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I guess it does look like an albright but not tired the same ???

I tie it the same way you would normally do catspaw with a double only the double is left "open", by this I mean an open loop in the braid about 2 ft long, then pass through twisted loop as normal then 10 times around 1 leg of braid. moisten the braid and mono and pull up tight with both legs of braid, you want it to pull tight around the twisty not in the crutch of the loop. Because the braid has no loop double to keep even you can pull up the braid on alternate legs to get it really tight, then finish with a few alternating half hitches.

Most importantly make sure the knot is wet to avoid abrasion on the braid, abrasion is the biggest killer of braid connections

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Great, thanks Chris. Will definitely introduce this variation into my (limited) knot tying handbook. Name of this knot? I think I will call it 'Crusty's Catspaw' ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I have seen Chris tie this 'top' knot, and have tried it myself with what memory I have of the procedure with not much luck. So out to the shed to try again the 'Crusty Catspaw'  ;).
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
'Eureka', now I've got it.
 Thanks Chris
   Bun
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Interested to try this when I get a chance...sounds like a sort of friction knot for single to twisted...thanks Chris

Andrew Williams

November 14, 2010, 06:34:35 AM
anyone have a video on this and how you tie it to a swivel?  Thanks

kaspar lenigas

March 27, 2011, 05:12:13 PM
for finishing off the twisted leader i'm not shore which way to finish off is stronger to twist the leader on its self, crimp or use a bite leader

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 08:55:12 PM
for finishing off the twisted leader i'm not shore which way to finish off is stronger to twist the leader on its self, crimp or use a bite leader

All work and won't really fail unless poorly executed.

What do you want to fish for and using what methods i.e. lure type?

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Have you guys tried his method? Tried it in the shed, and provide the bimini is neat, glides through the guides......

attaching a twisted leader to braid mainline

Cheers,

Pat

Alan Syme

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 26, 2012, 04:02:19 PM
good thread with heaps of helpful info.

after some opinions please....

if you were going to fish the nastiest shallowest (as in sometimes the popper lands on the reef shallow) coral reef terrain for gts of up to 40kgs plus, casting poppers from a boat........

as an example would you use a twisted leader of 200lb or a single strand leader of 400lb? i am guessing that the twisted 200lb would handle abrasion better than a 400lb single.

fishing mainly big cup faced poppers, 100lb braid, hard drags on quality shimano reels/rods. but on a recent trip i got dominated by the big gts so looking to upgrade my leader system to heavier single or a heavier twisted leader.

thoughts please??