Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Twisted Leaders: Instructions + Diagrams
August 21, 2008, 10:33:12 AM
Thanks Rob
I'm sure our members will be interested in seeing what you've done. I would point out that a normal mono twisted leaders can be made up in very short time so you may be going to a lot of trouble!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 21, 2008, 10:55:03 AM
Hi Brandon
Yes it does take a bit of time and effort, however...
1) I'm yet to do a serious GT trip up north (planning one in the next 6 months), I hope to have a heap of spare leaders to test out when I do get up there.
2) We do about 2 trips a year along the SE coast for Marlin/YFT
3) We fish for 3 months solid on our run on Blue Fin Tuna + deep bottom bashing.
4) Add to that a dabble in the bay come snapper season.
... and the rest of the year is spent playing with, improving and preparing tackle, which I enjoy.
Plus like I said earlier, it fills in the quiet times at work.

Having said all of that... I still love the idea of twisty leaders... will have a crack at them as well.
<*///><

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 22, 2008, 10:27:37 PM
Here are some braid -> mono "wind-on leader" pics as promised for anyone interested.
Braid is 130lb JB hollow core joined to 130lb mono

<*///><

Ray Stevens

October 12, 2008, 09:01:06 AM
Hey Guys...

Being a Total Novice with Twisted Leaders, I always tend to do a lot of research when it comes to trying new techniques, with leaders knots or lines, sometimes to the early hours.
As well as studying closely your twisted leader teqnique I came accros another variation of a twisted leader, am trying to figure out at what point it varies from your Technique...will post a link below...

http://castflys.net/Documents/Twisted.pdf

It seems like it has been made in reverese....?

Cheers Ray
Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:22:51 AM by Ray Stevens

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 04:44:20 PM
Hi Ray
I think I might leave this to the fly fishos here like Chris Young and Gordon Low to comment.

At the end of the day, the twisted leader is a simple piece of tackle - which is how it should be. I've seen some incredibly complicated rigs used for GT fishing and I can't help but ask "why?"

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 08:08:57 PM
Brandon,

I think Aaron should also be considered in this topic. He also has a wealth of knowledge in fly fishing, as i'm sure you are well aware of.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 08:42:15 PM
Aaron can contribute if he feels inclined to do so - I was only using Chris and Gordon as examples!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 08:43:30 PM
Aaron can contribute if he feels inclined to do so - I was only using Chris and Gordon as examples!

What are you both talking about??? Aaron is useless! :P

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 08:48:05 PM
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh gawd, now we got to wait for Aaron's response!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 12, 2008, 09:13:17 PM
I agree with brandon, twisted leaders are meant to be kept simple, but I would not rely on that overhand finishing knot thingy on the four strand bit , use a nail knot or whip finish it with kevlar braid or similar. Then coat it with a UV glue to smooth it off
Nothing can stop Aaron from talking or typing, I'm willing to bet my sporting nut that he could talk underwater WITH a mouthfull of set concrete :o ;D.
Brandon...can you post those new knot pictures I sent you?, I don't know how to post pics on here.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2008, 09:23:26 PM
Chris - you're a bloody pain! I had to find that old e-mail, copy the photo to my drive and then load it on imageshack to display it here.

The Chris Young atatchment to a twisted leader. You don't need a bimimi for it.

Ray Stevens

October 12, 2008, 09:46:51 PM
Hey Guys...
We did it...me and my rich Girlfreind (who do you think is paying for my GT trip to Queeensland...yeehaaa)

We tied our first twisted leader in less than 5 minutes..only I did the Butt end shorter on purpose, so I ended up with a 6 inch 4 strand bite leader...this one I tied with the triple overhand knot....but intend to heed the advice on the nail knot for our next one.

This one will do for practice casting down South.....I reckon these twistys have Potential for Mulloway fishing on our far west coast here, some big Mullies are to be had in the first shore gutter just behind where the sand stirs up, about 30 metres off the beach...

Cheers Guys
Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:52:59 PM by Ray Stevens

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 12, 2008, 11:07:49 PM
Thanks Brandon, I see it took you 10 minutes to do what would have taken me 70.
Ray... where do you find rich girlfriends?, I could sure do with a couple of them :D :-X
Now that you have one finished with the overhand knot, hang it on something and test it good (strech it) and see what happens to the four strand section . I'm guessing the knot will slip and make the four strand go "wonky".
I used to make twisted fly leaders by hand which is fine in smaller line classes . Now I use a power drill and my boat winch.
Typical 8 foot leader (the size I like)
1. 5-6m of 100lb mono with overhand loop in one end for anchoring to winch(or someones hand etc)
2. Secure the other end in drill chuck and twist on high speed for about 45 seconds. You will feel the line shorten when it is twisted enough.
3. Double the line back over a screw driver shaft towards the loop end. Dont let it become loose or you'll end up with a mess.
4. I secure the loop ever the drill handle so both legs are roughly equal in length but about a foot apart.
5. Hold the line where it goes around the screwdriver and slowly let it twist together. If the line has been twisted enough it will twist right down to the tag ends . If not you need to run the drill longer next time.
6. Tie an overhand knot in the tag ends and thread swivel, Finish the four strand section by hand.
You should be able to twist a leader in about 2 minutes then tie all your nail knots at one time.
The way I type I could have tied about 10 by now! ;D

Cheers Chris

Ray Stevens

October 12, 2008, 11:16:00 PM
Thanks for the advice Chris...it is appreciated.

As far as Rich Girlfreinds go....I just got lucky, It was her I liked, I found out later she was loaded....or rather her Family was.

Anyhow I have long service leave comming up in 2 years and I was looking at spending most of it fishing Northern Australia from the Kimberly around to Queensland, this Cairns trip is one of the breif forays before hand, have already been over to Exmouth in the West and Darwin in the North, and am slowly learning tackle and Tactics for Northern parts.

Thanks for the advice everybody...

Cheers

red dwarf

December 08, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
hello Luke,
Once you have done your twisted leader knot how would you tie your braided line to the leader. Do you use a single strand or a double loop attached to the leader.
Any infor would be most helpfull