NathanMcNiece

whitsundays report (not full report)
June 23, 2009, 04:47:24 PM
arrived here at the whitsundays and went searching for some GT's at hook passage, didnt take long to find them casting to the resort side and about 5th cast saw a hook up to a gt of about 30kg on a dumbell pop 150. was fighting the fish on the twinpoer 10000fc and t curve 10-15kg and with locked up drag and hand on the spool it just kept running. got the fish in and had about 15m to go when it shoots back down to the bottom, after about 30mind it wore through the 80lb leader and left me with a sore back and shoulders and a bruised ego, but hey still got 12 days to go so hopefully can land one.

ps: i will be upgrading to a stella sw18000 and  gt special once I get back  :D

I'm currently moored at the top of hook island now and will post how each session goes in this thread so hopefully will have some good news to report on.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: whitsundays report (not full report)
June 23, 2009, 07:26:59 PM
Sounds like a good start to the trip Nate, well done!

Looking forward to more reports and more success stories!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

NathanMcNiece

June 23, 2009, 08:15:24 PM
yeah should be good, heading out to black reef next monday as the whether looks sweet so gonna cast some poppers over the reef. if anyone has some spots worth trying other than hook passage it would be greatly appreciated.

craig breadsell

June 23, 2009, 08:37:50 PM
try double rock, keel breaker out around delaraine  and down towards petrel and edward island. Blacks reef fishes well for gt's, can be very sharky at times though!!

NathanMcNiece

June 24, 2009, 06:16:47 PM
Thanks for the spots mate, also does little black reef fish as well as black reef? Caught the first G of the trip todaY at hook passage, it was around 5kg and was caught using a Dumbell pop 150 in pink.

Just wondering how to add photos aswell?

NathanMcNiece

June 25, 2009, 09:01:59 AM
It obviously was only a small fish but was my first g on a popper and my PB  :D

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 25, 2009, 09:30:33 AM
Good job mate,i would definetly say upgrade to the stella!! ;)

NathanMcNiece

June 25, 2009, 11:15:09 AM
yeh cant wait to try it out, cant even compare to the twinpower 10000fc, im finding a few faults in it, it has less drag capacity to all the stradic 8000's I have tested, it probably has about 8kg of drag the twinpower and when popping the handle comes loose  ??? I think ill get the gt special rod to go with the stella first.