Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick local trip
June 29, 2009, 01:43:56 PM

Went for a run weekend before last, late start (midday) due to a very sore head from a function the night before. The weather was pretty bad, with squalls and winds around 20knots. Anyway we caught plenty of small mackerel in the protected bays of the close in Islands. Just before leaving I thought I would have a couple of chucks across a shallow bommie. Second cast this GT climbs on....interesting it's the first I have seen leap clear of the water on the strike, which was a good show for the other guys on board.
Quick photo, back in the drink and headed home....Geez I look bad, must have been the red wine.

It seems most of my GT fishing is at the end of everyone else's fishing and I only catch 1 fish and head off...might be a good idea because the 1 time I went back for seconds it nearly killed me!
I am keeping up a pretty good strike rate though, normally raise a GT within 10 or 15 casts, but haven't put any concerted effort in yet.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Quick local trip
June 29, 2009, 02:23:27 PM

Well done Graham, a good fish to finish the day off, GTs are a drug aren't they.
Haven't raised one in that area before, but they had to be there.
We'll have to organize a GT trip....

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 29, 2009, 05:00:46 PM
Nice work Graham.  I might have to beg for a couple of spots off you prior to heading up there in December.

Cheers,
Simon

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
June 29, 2009, 05:25:25 PM
Great work mate,nice fish!! ;)

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 30, 2009, 08:59:03 AM
G'day Ken,

I have found strong run critical for fishing the close in Islands...not so important up towards Shoalwater bay.

If I keep catching them closer to home, I will have to try popping the Harbour....hmmm bit of run around the corner at the entrance??

Simon,
No worries give me a call closer to the trip