Gary Blake

A twisted leader and leader knot query
June 29, 2009, 07:12:06 PM
Evening,
        I'm relatively new to to this and just have a couple of questions on leaders which may seem fairly basic ,but here they are any how. First up I have noticed everyone seems to use a twisted leader, which I have used plenty of times for Barra fishing mainly for abrasion resitance and the bit of stretch it gives to take out that intial shock when a fish hits the lure a sort of bungie cord effect. When using the twisted leaders I have always used the cats paw connection when attaching it to the braid. Would the same sort of connection work with a dedicated GT leader set up. Second when ever I have attached braid to a straight heavy mono leader I have always used the Slim Beauty knot reason being the mono tag ends up laying back along the braid so there is less chance of it catching on the runners when casting.
 I have never had this knot fail on me just wondering if anyone else uses it when chasing GT'S
 I realise these questions may be fairly basic but I'm on a steep learning curve here and open to all advice.
 Thank's
         Gary

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A twisted leader and leader knot query
June 29, 2009, 07:25:24 PM
Gary....Have a look at the nomad website.
They give a demo on twisted leaders and the connection to braid.
Also do a search on this site on twisted leaders....heaps on info.

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 29, 2009, 07:38:30 PM
Gary, not everyone here uses a twisted leader to a bimimi double. Some of us use the friction knots developed by the Japanese such as there the he PR, FG or midknot. These are superior to the slim beauty in that they are finer knots. The slim beauty still has that bulbous section where the overhand or double overhand knot is.

There is an absolute heap of information here on twisted leaders.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gary Blake

June 29, 2009, 08:24:00 PM
Thank's Brandon, Pete I'll check the knots out and do a better search a lot of information here so it's all good,
 Thank's again
               Gary