David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Split-Ring Pliers
July 06, 2009, 11:47:41 AM
I'm in the market for a good set of split-ring pliers.  I remembered this discussion: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=509.msg5577#msg5577, but after rereading it I'm not clear on the rusting and breaking tips.

So, what do you use? Do they rust? Do you recommend them?  How much are they and where do you get them?

(btw, here is my situation: fishing from a kayak so lots of saltwater exposure, mostly using #10 split rings, sometimes #11)

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Split-Ring Pliers
July 06, 2009, 12:45:17 PM
My choise is DUEL GT splitring from day one , yes they rust but with a spray of oil each time after fishing , all rust are gone .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 01:47:04 PM
I've tried owner, fisherman, sure catch, and the new ocean revolution but have to agree for opening everything thing from tiny to 11H split rings (the latter without deformation) the Duel are the best of this bunch.
Set the ray to GeeT

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 04:34:18 PM
Big fan of the Owner GP60 pliers!! ;)

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 06:24:07 PM
I have used Owner, Fisherman & Duel, as mentioned they all rust to some degree but always take several pairs per trip, Duel the favorite so far.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 06, 2009, 07:13:27 PM
I've used the duels and the owners- I prefer the owners. I spray some inox in the plastic zip-seal bag they came with.
Like everything, they need maintenance. Cheap and functional.

Bruce Ingram

July 06, 2009, 08:32:11 PM

A mate of mine convinced me to get a cheap pair of Berkley pliers.  They're a similar style to the Duel pliers but about half the price.

So far they've done the job. (On 300 pound decoy rings)

They haven't rusted either. (I give them the odd burst of WD40)     

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 09:11:20 PM
Thumbs up for the OR pliers  ;)

I also like the fisherman ones, but they are pretty expensive.

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 09:54:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies.  What kind of prices am I looking at for the Duos or the Owners?   Sorry, I'm having trouble finding these for sale online (like Owner doesn't have them on their site).

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 06, 2009, 10:57:20 PM
Unfortunately all pliers rust...unless you pay the money and get Fisherman's pliers. Only downside is they are built with fairly chunky tips for opening heavy duty split rings but on the plus side they are made of titanium alloy so it'll wont rust at all. Mine is nearly 4yrs old and not an inch of rust on it. Ive got the Big Game version and it opens big split rings with ease.

Owners are around $90
Duo's about $120
Fishermans $300-$400!!
Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:05:08 PM by hon-su

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 07, 2009, 08:12:38 AM
David, you should be able to find both the Owner (only go for the F Tool GP-60) and the Duo if you shop around. I'm pretty sure if you check with places like Proshop Mogi, you will find them. The Owner will be around 3600 to 3800 JPY and I expect the Duo will be 6000 to 7000 JPY.

I have owned (or still own) just about every plier discussed so far in this thread including the big 8 inch Accurate pliers with the split ring jaws. From my experience, I like the Owner GP-60, Duos and Ocean Revolution as they open big split rings like the 11H and Varivas 400lbs easily. The Duels are also a very good pair of pliers and have the added advantage of having a small pair of jaws as well so they can be used for smaller split rings too. There is a bit of a knack to be learned using these but they do the job very well.

As far as the Accurate goes, a great pair of pliers but horrible split ring jaws and I don't regard the Fisherman as much better. I do know guys who swear by the Fisherman but (sorry Hon-Su!) side by side with any of the pliers above, it just isn't in the same class for big split rings.

If you are going to get a lot of exposure to salt on the pliers, I think you should probably discount the Owners unless you are prepared to continually lubricate them. They will seize up with a couple of days. For your purposes, I'd suggest you look at the Duo.

Thanks for all the replies.  What kind of prices am I looking at for the Duos or the Owners?   Sorry, I'm having trouble finding these for sale online (like Owner doesn't have them on their site).
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 07, 2009, 08:23:56 AM
I use Kazak stainless split-ring pliers. They open 8 to 11H owners easily and are cheap. Around $35 so I don't care too much if I lose them over the side.
Down side is the cutter wouldn't cut cooked spagetti! I always carry a small pocket knife for this anyway, line not spagetti that is ;D

I also have Accurate 8 inch, the cutters are wonderful but they won't easily open anything above Owner 10's.

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

luke peters

July 07, 2009, 10:35:12 AM
Hi David, I have the Fisherman big game pliers and the finish and the quality is great which has already been said but unfortunately i did find anything over a #10 owner tricky too open. I find you have to fiddle around with the split ring to get it to open far enough and then use brut force to pull against the tow point of the lure, which is a shame cause they a very lite comfortable pair of pliers. On the other hand i have just purchased a pair of GP-60 and they are great just pick them up and they will stretch a split ring if that's what you want to do but as Brandon said they will rust. I have also tried a pair of Crusty's Ocean revolution and they felt great and are spring loaded which i thought was cool and from what i have read they have replaced the cutters with some that are more corrosion resistant.

Luca

steve sims

July 07, 2009, 08:03:34 PM
I also use the Kazak pliers, they are cheap, and they work well, in saying that I do not popper fish all the time so they are a good compromise for me.
I have also been eyeing off the Duo pliers, they are available from Bluewater here in Perth for $129.00, they are on their online store.

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 08, 2009, 10:06:18 AM
As always, thanks to everybody for all the good advice.  I think I will look into the Duos and Owners first because they should locally available.  Will let you know what I get and how I like them!