Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ascension Island Trip in 2014 is finalized.
November 01, 2013, 03:13:22 AM
Ascension Island trip is a dream trip by any standard and I was trying to visit there for years. Finally I book the charter boat Harmattan for 6 days.
I traveled many parts of world for fishing, but this trip can be the best trip ever based on the fishing reports.
Ascension Island is located in South Atlantic and it belongs to the British Government.
To travel to Ascention Island, we have to fly to England. So the airfare is petty expensive (about $2,600US), but the boat charter ($1,150 per day) and lodge is average.

I finally set the dates with Capt Colin.
We leave England on July 9, 2013 and leave Ascension Island on July 15, 2014.
As we arrive at Ascension Island at 7:00 am on july 10 and leave Ascention Island at 11:00 pm, we actually fish 6 days on July 15.
I decided to fish on the 36' boat for more comfort and in case of bad weather.
The other options are to fish on Patrick's small boat late in the afternoon after fishing on the Harmattan or go to the beach for casting poppers from the shore. There is a good chance of fry run during our trip. In that case, we are on the beach every day after fishing on the boat.
This is jigging and popping trip and we are not going to chase marlin.

I know some members fished Ascension Island before.  Any suggestion or recommendation is appreciated.

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Ascension Island Trip in 2014 is finalized.
November 01, 2013, 04:57:36 AM
I recall an article about the place in a danish magazine mentioning some decent AJ aroud there, but the guys were fishing pretty close to the shore from kayak
Greetings
Simon

Barry Kurten

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 01, 2013, 07:05:48 AM
Hi Kil,

My trip to Ascension is booked for April 2014. Please remind me or drop me a message closer to the time of your trip and I will be more then happy and willing to share as much info as I can.

Cheers
Barry

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 01, 2013, 12:56:15 PM
Damn Kil, that is a dream trip!  Fishing anywhere with a 200 mile commercial fishing exclusion zone has to be a dream.

And I am surprised at the low cost of charter boat and lodging given the remoteness of the location.

I guess your main top water casting target will be Yellowfin?

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 01, 2013, 11:50:32 PM
Hi Kil,

My trip to Ascension is booked for April 2014. Please remind me or drop me a message closer to the time of your trip and I will be more then happy and willing to share as much info as I can.

Cheers
Barry

Thanks, Barry. I am looking forward to your fishing report.

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 02, 2013, 12:10:43 AM
Damn Kil, that is a dream trip!  Fishing anywhere with a 200 mile commercial fishing exclusion zone has to be a dream.

And I am surprised at the low cost of charter boat and lodging given the remoteness of the location.

I guess your main top water casting target will be Yellowfin?

Hi Mark,
700 British Pound ($1,120US) for 36' boat a day is not bad at all by any standard.
The main target is 200 plus lb yft on jig and popper, but we are going to explore other opportunities.
I never caught oil fish before and we'll try for oil fish on jigs at night at least one day.

If there is fry run during our stay, we are going to cast poppers for yft from the shore every evening after fishing on a boat.
They say we also can catch AJ, black Jack or rainbow runners from the shore.

big yft upto 255 lb on popper

Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:52:45 AM by Kil Song

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 02, 2013, 06:36:03 AM
Good luck.

I am looking forward to your report.

Ascension is also on my list to do in my live.

Best regards,

Arnout.