Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Caledonia April/May 2009
July 14, 2009, 10:24:17 PM
A bit slow in getting this New Cal trip report posted.....life gets hectic!  

In April 2009, I arranged a GT expedition to New Cal with LPB to enable 4 GT novices to have a serious crack at GT fishing. The adventure was on in earnest a couple of days before flying out when we received the news that going with LPB may not be an option........some excellent advice from Brandon (thankyou  ;D) and a 1.5 days of phone calls and negotiations resulted in the expedition being confirmed........I was exhausted before even boarding the plane!  ;).

We had a fantastic trip with LPB despite the low numbers of GTs overall.  The weather was calm, too calm and that basically made the fish 'very inactive' according to Rudy.  Between the four of us we managed 16 GTs in 6 days - with 5 of those days being dedicated fully to popping - Rudy acknowledge we worked very hard for our fish - but the fish didn't come to play.  In fact we didn't have that many GTs following our lures, we caught a fair percentage of what hit our poppers.  

The bonus with popper fishing is its a lucky dip.  We caught plenty of non-target species to keep are lines tight in between the GTs, including sharks, green job fish, trout, bass, cod, sweetlips, mackerel, and other trevallies. We dabbled in some jigging and trolling for very little - small doggies, sharks, trout, cod and a rainbow runner on the troll.  Fishing off the back of the boat at night was fun.  We got busted off more times than popping for GTs.  Plenty of Spangled Emperor and the razor gang keep us busy.

We fished the western reef edge (outside) for 1.5 days for no GTs - 2 follows that's all - the sea was dead calm, almost oily - we landed a handful of quality trout and red bass but that's it.

We fished as far south as the Isle of Pines.  I reckon the fish gods were smiling on me (maybe they were showing some sympathy for all the b@llsh#t we went through to actually go on LPBs Antares?). The first GT of the trip and incidentally my first GT, was the biggest of the trip nudging 40kg and caught using a Full Scale 180 Kong with a Saltiga SG GT 86 rod, a GT6000Z reel and 80lb braid. This was my first popper caught GT and to say I was stoked was an understatement  ;D   - gee they fight hard, this particular fish just wouldn't come up from below. Most of the fish landed were in the 10 kg - 30 kg range with a few fish reaching 25 kgs and 30 kgs.

Other trip highlights included Nick's 20kg + GT on a Saltiga Game 68-3 rod, Hyper Certate 4000 reel and 30 lb braid using a Yo zouri magnum deep diving lure during a lagoon casting session  :D.

Most successful lures were Full Scale Kongs in both sizes (thanks Chris), Craftbait GT2s, Fishermen Long Pen 100, HH G-Cup and Jai Fish Head 130. In fact one of the guys on the trip used only a Jai Fish Head 130 for the entire trip and landed 4 GTs - that popper is totally wrecked now.  We tried a number of different stickbaits for no hook ups, in fact no decent strikes at all  ???

Overall a magic trip - for first time GT poppers we all achieved our goals of catching GTs and learnt a hell of a lot from Rudy.

A couple of us have certainly got the GT bug..........can't wait for the next opportunity to chuck some poppers and stickbaits around and build on our experiences from the LBP trip.  Thanks to Nick, Rod and Matt for being part of an awesome trip and of course Rudy and No-no the deckie for their patience, humor and willingness to impart their knowledge. ;)

Cheers

Craig

NathanMcNiece

Re: New Caledonia April/May 2009
July 15, 2009, 10:54:05 AM
well done mate, your first GT was a cracker! too  bad the fish gods were'nt smiling but hey now you'll always have an excuse to get back there.  ;D

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 15, 2009, 12:48:17 PM
Congrats on your 40kg'er fish, that is a beauty.

I'd be ecstatic with that as a cherry popper, too bad the GT bite was not very hot but if it's any consolation I've been on an expensive trip with weather 10 times worse and less luck with GT's.

BTW were there any fish caught in that surface boil with the bird action?

Set the ray to GeeT

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 15, 2009, 01:35:45 PM
Top stuff Craig. That first fish sure was a fat sucker...no wonder it went so hard. Glad the lures did the job too mate ;) and love the Gilligan hat  ;D

Stan Konstantaras

July 15, 2009, 01:58:13 PM
Nice report Craig.
Nice fish too, even when they are hard to come by it makes them even sweeter.
The LPB boys work hard to find fish, even under adverse conditions.
To rough when I went, to calm when you went.....now I need a trip that will be just right to give me another fix.
Cheers
Stan

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2009, 09:20:36 PM
well done mate, your first GT was a cracker! too  bad the fish gods were'nt smiling but hey now you'll always have an excuse to get back there.  ;D

Thanks Nathan.  Yeah, I've got this good feeling I'll be back there some day in the near future.   ;D

Cheers

Craig

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2009, 09:29:26 PM
Congrats on your 40kg'er fish, that is a beauty.

I'd be ecstatic with that as a cherry popper, too bad the GT bite was not very hot but if it's any consolation I've been on an expensive trip with weather 10 times worse and less luck with GT's.

BTW were there any fish caught in that surface boil with the bird action?

Cheers Andy.  You're right, an awesome way to 'pop the cherry', feel very privileged and maybe a bit spoilt.  But that's fishing I suppose ;D  She would've gone close to an 8/10......pity fishing didn't resemble life lol  ;) . The surface boil was a school of Bonito.  It was early in the morning, just tucking into some breakfast and we spotted the birds working in the distance.  With the pick down, Rudy wasn't going anywhere fast.  Luckily the action came our way.  We rigged some light sticks and flicked metal slugs at the boil.  Caught a swag of small bonito and got busted of several times by something a lot bigger. We had a ball........great way to kick the day off  :D

Cheers

Craig

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
Top stuff Craig. That first fish sure was a fat sucker...no wonder it went so hard. Glad the lures did the job too mate ;) and love the Gilligan hat  ;D

Thanks Chris.  For this trip, Kongs in 180 and 200 - Nemo and Punkin, respectively accounted for the three biggest GTs, plus a Spanish Mackerel, Job Fish, Red Bass and some reefies.  :D The results speak for themselves.  The hat.......yeah I lost a bet!  ;)

Cheers

Craig

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 16, 2009, 02:53:46 PM
Mate well done,some great fish caught there..
I wonder how Brandon Khoo is goin over there rite now a we speak !!! 8)

steve sims

July 16, 2009, 06:29:13 PM
Craig, that 1st GT of yours is an absolute ripper, what a way to open your GT account !!! I've not long returned from fishing New Cal for the 1st time and I cant wait to get back there, I don't think I could ever tire of that style of fishing and the fish that live there!! Our group as well did not catch a fish on a stickbait, and a pumpkin 200 Kong was also a very good popper for me, also the Patriot Designs mastered bombs. Top report and great pics!!
Steve

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2009, 09:18:42 PM
Mate well done,some great fish caught there..
I wonder how Brandon Khoo is goin over there rite now a we speak !!! 8)

Cheers Nathan,

No doubt Brandon is cleaning up - GTs and the great man go hand in hand!  Regardless of the weather or conditions the LPB boys will find quality GTs and Brandon will land subdue  ;D

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2009, 09:22:00 PM
Craig, that 1st GT of yours is an absolute ripper, what a way to open your GT account !!! I've not long returned from fishing New Cal for the 1st time and I cant wait to get back there, I don't think I could ever tire of that style of fishing and the fish that live there!! Our group as well did not catch a fish on a stickbait, and a pumpkin 200 Kong was also a very good popper for me, also the Patriot Designs mastered bombs. Top report and great pics!!
Steve

Thanks Steve.  Yes there is something very special about New Cal.  I'll be back in the not too distant future with the aim of catching a quality GT on a Stickbait and trying to break my current PB :D

Cheers

Craig

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 17, 2009, 11:26:48 PM
Craig,
New Caledonia is one of very few places where you can say " I want to go back and break my current PB (of 40kg)" so casually!   ;D ;D
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Craig Lupton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2009, 12:01:18 AM
Craig,
New Caledonia is one of very few places where you can say " I want to go back and break my current PB (of 40kg)" so casually!   ;D ;D

Hey Kasey,

I took your ex Tokara on this trip. It performed beautifully, landing 6 GTs to 30 kg.   :D My mate Nick mainly used the rod and absolutely loved it!  It did a lot of work, especially the last 1.5 days outside the lagoon chucking G and I-Cups around.  Unfortunately for Nick, he expended a massive amount of energy for no GTs outside.  ::)  Actually none of us caught GTs outside, just a some trout and bass.......that's fishing  ;)

For a bunch of novices to cut their teeth on decent size GTs, New Cal must be right up there for underwater terrain that is kind to anglers.  The deep water and competent boat handling skills from Rudy allowed us to get a hooked fish into deep water quickly.  I'm keen to do a trip with Nomad next year to fish Bugatti, Elusive or Shoalwater........I reckon it'll be the introduction to GT fishing I should have had......bust offs, lost lures and line, many lost fish, lots of tantrums and obscenities flowing from my mouth.   Cant' wait!!!  ;D

Cheers

Craig

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 18, 2009, 03:06:25 PM
Wow, kudos to your friend, thats hard work!

I've had a trip like that before in NC maybe 2 years ago. No wind, oily conditions - very poor bite. Unfortunately there's little you can do about weather conditions, I remember spending alot of time free-diving and chasing smaller fish on stickbaits. Unfortunately we weren't on the Antares so I had nowhere to sleep, and worse, no shade. This was during a hot hot December too.

These days NC is one of the few places I go to praying for wind. I don't even mind something up to 20-knots.... it drives the fish mad but I fear one of these days I'll just get much more than I can chew.

P.S. That Tokara, David landed a 40kg Dogtooth on a BigFoot with it. Glad you liked it.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop