Michael Mihajlov

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick Fiji Trip
July 22, 2009, 07:56:15 PM
Managed a quick morning trip after a weeks work in Fiji.

40 minutes out of Denarau, managed 6 good GTs in 3 hours. New rod worked a treat, as did the FG knot. How easy is that knot to learn, first attempt landed 6 good fish!

Heru Cubera did all the damage!

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Quick Fiji Trip
July 22, 2009, 08:40:11 PM
awesome mate. :)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2009, 09:13:36 AM
Not a bad WORKING..??...holiday Mike... :D :D

How long you there for..?

Pete

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 23, 2009, 09:17:27 AM
Well done mate,i should be over there soon...Pumped!

steve sims

July 23, 2009, 07:44:13 PM
Michael, great effort, can I ask whether Bobby was your skipper?
Steve.

Michael Mihajlov

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 23, 2009, 08:14:13 PM
Spot on Steve. I met Bobby a few years ago and he is a real talent and a genuinely lovely bloke. I wouldn't fish with anyone else in Fiji! I taught him the FG knot (which I just learnt myself) and he is a convert!

Pete, I was in Fiji for 9 days and literally only had that small window to fish. Fiji is on the move again tourism wise and a great place to get to (as you know). Infrastrucure is improving and a lot of incentives to invest there.

steve sims

July 23, 2009, 08:55:26 PM
Michael, I was put on to Bobby by his brother, Anil who at the time was working for Adrenalin water sports, both know the area extremely well, but Bobby's rates were quite a bit cheaper. I couldn't recommend him enough, even to the point of having a fairly lean day on the GT's he got the boat out again and took my partner and I out later that evening to fish for some jacks free of charge. TOP bloke!!
Steve.

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2009, 05:58:39 PM

Hi guys. Fiji is looking better by the day for a long awaited trip. I have been looking at Matava and the like but hadn't considered Denarau. Could you give some idea of who to charter with and what the costs would look like?

Cheers

Michael Mihajlov

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2009, 07:22:04 PM
Mate, my opinion only, but out of Denarau you cannot miss with Bobby Kumar. His boat is not flash (although he has an awesome vessel in the pipeline), but his rates are great and he is the best skipper in the area. Plus he is honest which is his greatest asset. His boat is Raser company name GT Fiji and number +679 999 4399. However he is in demand from other boat owners with more money than skill who regularly employ him to skipper their flash craft. 

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2009, 09:27:52 PM

Thanks for the info. The pics from your trip look great

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2009, 05:52:18 PM
GT fishing starting to hot up now in Fiji. From August through to Easter should be good. Got a 30kg model on Saturday at a spot literally 15 minutes by my boat from the Suva Yacht Club. (putting the new outboard through its paces and could not resist taking the rod along).
The size of the fish is fairly impressive with 20 - 25kg fish being fairly common and more than a few in the 30 - 40k range.
Could think of worse places to fish.
Have been lucky though because the chap I fish with sometimes is the best in the business in Fiji as far as finding the big fish goes.