Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oman
May 20, 2009, 05:57:44 PM
Good Morning,

Hope everyone is well and rods are bending. I've been reading the forum for a while and thought I would add a few posts from our neck of the woods. I live and fish in Dubai, Oman and surrounding areas whenever work allows. We mainly fish the Musandam and have some great GTs in season. But after reading about the GTs down South it seems that there is a few more long distance trips on the cards! Really awesome fishing and a great forum.

I have just come back from a trip with my Dad who comes out every year to try and pull a few fish, the old man is not as young as he used to be but the old bones still put up a good fight and he managed a nice GT. We caught some good fish and also some on 50lbs braid but got our pipes cleaned a good few times.

Cheers,
Nick

Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:03:34 PM by Nick Bowles

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Oman
May 20, 2009, 06:08:21 PM
Look's like you had a good trip.

some nice GT'S to

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 06:16:20 PM
Nice Nick!

Good report and some nice GTs mate..

What do you run on your KGS?

Cheers
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 06:26:36 PM
Hi Sam,

We use Accurate SR12s and 50lbs Tufline XP. Really awesome combo for our fishing. We found the fish chasing Shrimp Scads just off a sea mount in about 50-60m of water so we thought it would be our best chance to land a big fish on the light tackle. Usually we would not take a knife to a gun fight but we managed to get a few 20kg+ and one 30kg fish out. I lost two fish I recon were up towards 40kgs (always get bigger after you get smoked!), the hooks opened on the one and hooks pulled on the other.

Cheers,
Nick

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 07:34:13 PM
Hey Nick,

Thanks for a great report!! I especially like the 6th pic down, bloody handsome GT with a couple of well place "rip" stripes on it. nice!!

Is there much other good fishing in the area? Good flats sight fishing?

Geoff

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 08:01:37 PM
Howzit Nick,

Good to see you made your way over here mate, and epic pics as always bru.

I'm sure all the guys here would love to see some more of your other reports from the Musandam and other areas as well... some weird and crazy critters on topwaters for you boys I'm sure the guys would enjoy....

I see your beloved KGS is still getting a good solid work out these days.... awesome!

Keep well, look forward to more of your great reports, chat soon.

Cheers
Nepps
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 08:14:25 PM
Nice combo Nick!

I have the 68M running PE3, they have some serious power!!!

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Callan Wallace

May 20, 2009, 08:14:54 PM
Nice fish Nick and I love how there is never a cloud in the sky.
Cheers
Callan

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 11:10:31 PM
Howzit Andre,
Good to see you on the forum, been reading it for a while and thought I would try add a few cents worth, but good to see a few familiar names!! And the KGS is still singing, it amazes me every trip. We are going to look for a few billfish next month, I'm thinking on sneaking it onto the boat!

Hi Callan,
Good to see you as well! You going to come visit again? Will have to clear the red tide for the trip! Has the weather improved?

Hi Geoff,

We get a few awesome coloured fish, the silver bird crap streaks, can't beat it! We don't have to many flats around here but we do get quite a lot of good fishing off the beach and rocks in Southern Oman with big bluefish, grunts, bream etc. We also do a bit of fishing north of Abu Dhabi on flats for grunts, milkfish, golden trevally etc. But unfortunately no GTs on the flats, we usually fly to Seychelles for the GTs.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 21, 2009, 07:15:57 AM
Great photos Nick - thanks for sharing. 

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 21, 2009, 12:40:14 PM
Looks like you had a good trip there,well done boys and nice pics!!!

Aaron Concord

May 25, 2009, 08:43:07 PM
Thanks for sharing the trip!

My own KGS now has GT envy  :'( :'( :'(

Nice G's on light tackle  ;D

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 28, 2009, 02:42:06 AM
Ni Nick,

Welcome to the forum - awesome first contribution.

Don't post much here myself as I don't get out GT fishing much except for holidays and it's all pretty new to me too.

However I just wanted to pick your brains as I have a mate who now lives on a yacht whom I was visiting in Turkey recently - Not may fish of any kind there I'm afraid.

However he is planning to sail down through the Red Sea and out of the Gulf of Aden to Oman and will be there for his 40th birthday in March 2010 so I'm toying with the idea of a trip out to see him but I thought all the good GT fishing was around Musandam and he won't be going up that far before he sails across to India.  I think he is going as far as Salalah.

My question is do you know if there is any GT fishing down that way and if not what other options might exist down there ?

Cheers

Matt Harvey

Neale Bird

July 28, 2009, 08:24:00 PM
The 6th photo down looks like Glanville!?