Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
International shipping?
July 20, 2009, 06:16:20 PM
Just a quick question regarding shipping a rod from Japan.

DHL or Fedex?    Anyone keen to recommend either?

Thanks a heap on this,
Darren.

Peter Agapiou

Re: International shipping?
July 20, 2009, 07:10:07 PM
both are very good ,price both last order fedx cheaper

steve sims

July 20, 2009, 07:31:54 PM
G'day Darren,
 The only goods I have had sent from Japan have been sent EMS, this has always been quick and hassle free and with a tracking #.
I have had a a lot of items from the US sent Fedex including some very expensive marine electronics and also found them to be an extremely reliable carrier.
Steve.

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 20, 2009, 11:43:15 PM
G'day Darren,
 The only goods I have had sent from Japan have been sent EMS, this has always been quick and hassle free and with a tracking #.
I have had a a lot of items from the US sent Fedex including some very expensive marine electronics and also found them to be an extremely reliable carrier.
Steve.

Steve, I think EMS won't work for Darren's rod unless it's less than 1.5 meters long.  And most good popping rods are about 20cm too long!  I am in Japan and have been trying to find a service that will ship long rods.  Darren, I'd be interested to hear what you choose, what you think of it, and what the shipping quotes are from those respective services?
But you're right, Steve, EMS is a good service!

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 21, 2009, 07:53:03 PM
David, I've requested special packaging so that has bumped up the price somewhat but my options do seen limited to Fedex or EMS due to the length and they are both very expensive.

In this case, I'm not too concerned about the price as I it was a "must have" situation and I knew it would blow out.

My main concern is getting my order in 2 pieces and not more.

AustralianAngling

July 21, 2009, 09:40:08 PM
Both are good have shipped with both now for over 5 years. Currently use UPS mainly as get a slightly better rate. Have not had anything broken with either company. Take out insurance is the answer. You are going to be looking at at least $100.00 to $150.00 AU. There is no cheap option for rods unless you or friend who happen to be in Japan fly with it.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 21, 2009, 10:08:24 PM
Both are good have shipped with both now for over 5 years. Currently use UPS mainly as get a slightly better rate. Have not had anything broken with either company. Take out insurance is the answer. You are going to be looking at at least $100.00 to $150.00 AU. There is no cheap option for rods unless you or friend who happen to be in Japan fly with it.

I'm looking at a little more than that.

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 21, 2009, 11:24:47 PM
Darren, if you want you can have them ship it to me and then I can take it with me to Palau and ship it to you from there in two weeks.  I am 99% certain long items can be shipped from Palau (since they use US Postal Service), though I will hopefully get confirmation on that tomorrow.  It would probably be quite a bit cheaper to do it that way?  Anyway, send me a pm if you're interested.