Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Building rods for popping and jigging.
June 04, 2007, 08:06:53 PM
I see i see, is there good fishing there and what do you mainly target?sorry about all the questions but very interested .
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 05, 2007, 12:03:45 AM
The Seed popping rod however is a different case-I'm willing at this stage to back the theory of line control assisting in the elimination of knot entaglement and smoother knot passage, thus allowing me to use a 12 on the end, despite the big knot in the leader, and here again I tend to use the Bimini/Albright combo ....

Don't say we didn't tell you so ;D

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2007, 05:35:08 AM
Hi Luke,
You are definately not wrong, and I may well be, but I and a few others I know of(including the shops in Singapore) are going to find out if I can get away with the twelves. And in this case the Seed popping rod is only a PE 3-6 so not really meant for the monsters, but never the less the flaws will show.(wriggle, wriggle)
My experience is with rod building rather than popping which is somewhat limmited (especially in  regards to fish on) but I do have a good amount of experience in building tournament casters that are cast in a similar pendulum fashion and with pretty big knots in the leader so I'm just applying the theories there. I believe there are a number of theories that come in to play,such as resonance  freqency, concept versus static guide placement, line control theories and so on. Mostly splitting hairs on an individual basis, but can add up to an advantage in a cumulative effect. However, if there is a factor that is outside those theories, then I'm sure GT popping will apply that factor at some point, and then only dogmatic practicality will survive the event. I will admit that when the chips are down in the monster fishing world, I  will look to you guys in Australia for a down to earth approach to find the solution to a problem-you guys do have the experience more than anyone else. I am prabably getting creamed up with science and theory in my armchair situation, just thinking too much. It will take me another trip to Singapore, or a fat bill from DHL to get other guides so I will be continuing with what I have for now, but your welcome to say I would not listen-If I am totally wrong you can bet those guides will be 16's and up soon after. Your comments are noted, not dismissed.
If ever we find some reliable fishing here, which I'm sure we will one day, you will be more than welcome to come and give it a wirl, you'll certainly be looked after.
 OK Cam. The fishing here is in its infancy here really, so nearly everything is new. Its unlikely we'll find virgin grounds as this country must be one of the most heavily fished comercially on earth-but we have found with jigging that the sheer depth of water has put fish beyond the reach of the reach of the average comercial outfit, so snapper , grouper, amberjacks are not on the endangered list yet. We know of Ajs going to 56 kilo in one place that is regularly fished. There are plenty of GTs here and the biggest I have heard of is 191 lbs taken by a spear fisherman. I too hit a monster last year while trolling, and there are frequent stories of guys getting spooled using 80lb set ups by so called "Talakitok" the local name for any of the trevallies. Indeed, up north nearer Taiwan there may be some really good fishing.  In San Vincente, right up north there is supposed to be the best fishing-my own experience up there concurs with this.Sailfish, marlin are the usual target, but the water has good currents and there is plenty of activity to be seen.Then there are places like Palawan still unexplored from a sport fishing point of view. The world record sailfish comes from there. Polilio on the Pacific coast is a place we have picked to concentrate on, some beautiful reefs, and there have been recent reports of saltwater crocs here. the place does not get alot of attention from anybody for anything and is in between two deep water trenches. Do a google earth search on Polilio and you'll see what I mean. Also unfortunately many of what could be very productive grounds in the south are definately out of bounds to westerners-these are not safe places to go. The potential is here, we just have to find it, and there are only about 20 of us in total who could have the gear or knowledge to explore properly, and as yet no decent boats, just local outrigger canoes. That is beginning to change now as some of the guys are talking about building boats, and one is near compleation. It will take timeand effort, but like the fly fishing here, the potential is there, but in eight years I have only managed a few trips that I could fish satifactorily, and saltwater fly is my thing, but I am on my own there as probably the only guy in the Phils who has the gear and can fly fish-I live in hope !!!
Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:00:22 AM by earl hamilton