David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Going back to Cali
August 11, 2009, 05:14:53 PM
If you're not a fan of LL Cool J, that title will sound pretty stupid.  :-\

I headed over to New Cal in early July, and fished the area around Poindimie on the north east side of the island.  Perfect weather greeted us and we had glassy conditions for most of our time up there.  Infact a bit of breeze would have been most welcome.. 

Day 1 saw us working a stretch of reef eagerly chasing GT's.  I should say that the excitement of fishing an area that you know holds big mean GT's can be quite distracting.  It took me a little while to get into my rhythm and settle the nerves and not burn it up as wasted energy..

Rigging up, I went straight for an Ebipop 140 while Rob my fishing companion went with the skippers advise on a stickbait.  As I hammering away on big poppers, Rob proceeded to get his first GT, then a 2nd, and a 3rd GT (a monster 52kg fish  :o)  before I got a touch (not counting a shark which broke my Ebipop!)  I changed lures to match him and within 4 casts had a GT pup around 10kg.  Then I got a big side on out of the water strike which is still etched in my memory..  Result being a 35-40kg fish, again on the hero of the day stickbait..   At the end of day 1 we returned to the resort with 6 GT's up to 52kg taken, all on River2sea Rover 230 stickbaits.
One GT was sharked, the result can be seen here in the vid  :(    Sadly there were some sharks around!!

That was the best GT day of the trip, (and I've ever had) as far as quality fish go.  Etienne the skipper was a legend and his knowledge and advise was always on the money.  The Illex rods onboard are superb.  We did have one day which was pretty slow, but we did well considering it was supposedly off season, I think we got 20 species in all.   Bycatch included coral trout, jobfish, sharks, spaniards. The jigging was good and we didn't do enough of it till the last day, lost a lot of jigs, a few from smokings very doggie like. Definitely keen to head back when the cow YFT and mahi mahi are around.  I took a lot of my kingfish jigs but the shorter jigs were getting the most action, so I ran out of them first..

It's a huge area from Pondimie to Touho and Hienghene with plenty of fishy looking areas on the charts and sounder, the water visability was so clear.  One day we were having a quick bite and someone dropped some penne pasta overboard. We could see our pasta which we were having for lunch drift down to the depths only to attract big wahoo, mack tuna, spaniards and sharks. I dropped a jig down and saw a nice wahoo take it but unfortunately missed the fish.  I took the jig off and baited up with some coral trout we'd caught and instantly got a nice mack tuna, he was full of the pasta we'd had for lunch..  It was kind of like that footage of the Nomad Spanish Fly video.  I'll try and add some photos later, here is the video.

Cheers Dave  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEmHYdQz9OI#noexternalembed

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Going back to Cali
August 11, 2009, 05:55:15 PM
a few pics.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 08:13:31 PM
Mate what a trip to remember,nice fish and water looks unreal..Im so pumped for september 6th,count down is on for new cal  ;D !!!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 11:12:34 PM
Awesome stuff!! Have to get there one day.....

Far out though might want to try lower hung gimble belts! That looked so uncomfortable :o

Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 01:02:25 AM
Great stuff Dave. The Stick baits always seem to bring up the fish. The video quality is simlpy awsome!All the surface hits and the first take of the stick bait it classic and I have seen very few Videos of such caliber. Who was handling the camera? THe coffin to sit on, while  fighting  the fish  must have been a blessing i am sure!

Jeen

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 09:30:27 AM
Hey Jeen,

The trick with getting the surface strikes is just to keep filming, and it will happen, some of those strikes are great..  That day the camera guy was Sebastien our guide (not the skipper) who is a legend and does everything, airport pickups, transfers, logistics, fishing, cameraman, translator etc. 

Having the esky to sit on was a help.  I had a couple of days rostered on the video camera, but spent a bit too much time fishing to get surface strikes.  I think I prefer getting nice shots on the stills camera.

I had just caught 2 x spaniards on day 2 both leaping 6 ft in the air. So I told Seb to film my retrieves for 15 minutes for no action. On the last retrieve with the popper 5 meters from the boat, he turned the camera off before I finished retrieving and THEN a spaniard takes a leap at my popper (and missed).  Would have been nice to get that one up close!  But you learn from these things.

Agree Warwick, those gimbals weren't great but that was due to being badly modified.. 

Cheers Dave

Rowan Stanek

August 12, 2009, 01:14:15 PM
Great report Dave, get some more photos up!
Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:50:47 PM by Rowan Stanek

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 10:58:41 PM
awesome report pics and vid... looks like i need to start saving for a trip over there!!

Tony Raspudic

August 14, 2009, 05:23:02 PM
G Day Dave, looks like Etienne's got some pretty good spots up and running since I last fished with him...looking forward to fishing with him again!
Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:24:35 PM by Tony Raspudic