Mat Selwyn

Best time of year to fish Exmouth WA
July 16, 2009, 07:49:52 PM
Hi all,
I was hopng someone would be able to help me decide when to head over to exmouth for a couple of weeks fishing to chase the trev. Will be concentrating on landbased fishing and will fork out for a charter or two.
I need to hook up bigger fish

steve sims

Re: Best time of year to fish Exmouth WA
July 16, 2009, 08:45:01 PM
Mat,
 Living in WA, I would have thought that winter is probably the best time to visit Exmouth, that is generally the best time to be there, but I'm sure that Jay would be better to answer your question, given that he resides in those neck of the woods and especially best times for GT's
Steve.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 16, 2009, 09:08:29 PM
I've found the best months for GTs to be the warmer months, particularly March/April which is when we get the best weather for the year. Over the winter I've found them to be not feeding as aggressively and get fewer strikes. There are fish to be had though, but generally throughout winter we get pretty bad easterlies and it can be a bit of a gamble. Unfortunately there aren't any charters in Exmouth that I know of that specifically target GTs although I'm sure one of the reef fishing charters could take you out if you told them that's what you wanted to do although that could be a costly exercise. Personally I wouldn't go there just to fish landbased as there is limited options if you just want to target GTs.

Mat Selwyn

July 17, 2009, 09:11:40 AM
Thanks very much guys, might have to drive the boat over to make things easier. Will be very much concentrating on landbased fishing ( I'm an addict)
but will surely do what it takes to get onto some good fish. Might come and explore before xmas then back for the suggested months. Will end up down at Quobba and Steep PT after heading from Darwin and south down the coast. Any other suggested points of call would be greatly appreciated.

Mat Selwyn

July 17, 2009, 12:38:15 PM
oh, and by driving the boat over I mean on the trailer ???

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 27, 2009, 07:04:35 PM
hey blue cant really help ya out with the time of year but i had my best luck landbased over the new moon with the low in the early evening so you can fish oysters. if ya need a place to crash on your way down we are in broome and have a spare room. hit peake up for my number if your interested

Mat Selwyn

August 08, 2009, 12:10:47 PM
cheers mate, will give you a call when I get over to broome for sure. may not be for a while though

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 09, 2009, 11:08:34 AM
cheers mate, will give you a call when I get over to broome for sure. may not be for a while though
Fingers crossed we wont be going anywhere for a while yet!!