• Likes Given: 0
Extreme jigging - how deep do you jig?
August 11, 2009, 03:20:19 PM

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Re: Extreme jigging - how deep do you jig?
August 11, 2009, 03:47:57 PM
Mmm great eating bar cod,nice job mate.. ;)

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 04:20:48 PM
Nice bar cod, very tasty

It is funny that you put this up today, I went out on Sunday off Sydney to Browns Mountain, we stopped on the way and jigged up a bunch of kings and bonito in 100m then hit the mountain itself...

We were fishing the north eastern corner, where apparently they take quite a few blue eye (i got one there last year on bait). The depth was 500m

I had my Hots Wei World and Stella 20000FA with me, and as it so happened I had recently loaded up the Stella with 600m of 50lb braid

So, on went a 500gm jig and down she went. The conditions were so good and there was so little current that the jig hit bottom easily, and the line was straight up and down with no need to reposition the boat  :o

First jig was lost within about 20-30 seconds, leader shredded by hungry gemfish

Another jig went down with 30cm of wire trace and I was on in no time...ended up landing 3 gemmies this way and dropping a 4th about 50m from the surface  >:(

Wasn't too bad at all with the 4-5kg gemmies, though would have known all about it if I had hooked a 15kg blue eye like last year on a similar set up

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 04:40:18 PM
Nice bar cod, very tasty

It is funny that you put this up today, I went out on Sunday off Sydney to Browns Mountain, we stopped on the way and jigged up a bunch of kings and bonito in 100m then hit the mountain itself...

We were fishing the north eastern corner, where apparently they take quite a few blue eye (i got one there last year on bait). The depth was 500m

I had my Hots Wei World and Stella 20000FA with me, and as it so happened I had recently loaded up the Stella with 600m of 50lb braid

So, on went a 500gm jig and down she went. The conditions were so good and there was so little current that the jig hit bottom easily, and the line was straight up and down with no need to reposition the boat  :o

First jig was lost within about 20-30 seconds, leader shredded by hungry gemfish

Another jig went down with 30cm of wire trace and I was on in no time...ended up landing 3 gemmies this way and dropping a 4th about 50m from the surface  >:(

Wasn't too bad at all with the 4-5kg gemmies, though would have known all about it if I had hooked a 15kg blue eye like last year on a similar set up

Which jigs worked out of the collection you got from me the other day mate ?

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 05:06:03 PM
500m - WOW!!!!  I thought it was hard work in 100m.

I think I might need a tin of harden up!!!!

Simon

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 06:56:27 PM
Hey nathan, I got the kingies on a 300gm river2sea knife jig in blue and purple and a 230gm spike jig in pink and silver, both of which I got from you the other day  ;D

The gemmies were taken on a 500gm Zest jig I already had

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 11, 2009, 11:43:47 PM
Just before I moved away from Perth I did alot of this. Noone else really did it so I guess you could say me and a couple of friends got the ball rolling.

I used to jig between 200-400m of water, quite often and very successfully especially towards the deeper end of that scale. My favourite jigs were the Andaman 600g and Sanme 650g. The main targets were Blue-Eye, Bar Cod, Ruby Snapper and Bass Groper. Blue-Eyes were up to 20-25kg, Bars up to 30, Ruby around 10 and some big Bass were around. I actually managed to jig and land WA's state record bass this way - 46kg.

I used a Stella 20000 with PE5 Varivas Big one (36kg) and a ValleyHill Mogi Special. I think a overhead is a more suitable reel though. It was a crazy fight.

Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Rob Ciotucha

August 12, 2009, 08:00:06 AM
Once again Kasey that is an awesome fish,  Good stuff.

Rob

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 03:02:27 PM
that's a monster,   great effort.

Kasey can i ask you if it is ok as i am just wondering,

did you like the PE5 Varivas Big One, do you rate it?

what was the ValleyHill Mogi Special like to use?

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 09:45:02 PM
Hi Sam,
I rate the PE5 Varivas Big One very highly. It's thin, cheap (relatively) and withstood all the drag I dished out in order to turn that fish! I managed to fit 600m on my Stella 20000.

It did quite alright with those big jigs... but I don't think there are too many rods out there that will handle the above 600g jig bracket, so I can't really compare. One other rod that has impressed me is an old Seven Seas model, but I can't remember which, you will have to ask AhGu. Its the only Seven Seas jigging rod I have liked - maybe because its so stiff it matches these jigs perfectly!

I'm yet to test the full 16kg max drag capacity of the MogiSpecial.

Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 11:22:45 PM
thanks.

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2009, 09:01:04 AM

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2009, 11:16:42 AM
Hey Matt, I didn't take any photos of the gemmies, they are not the most photogenic capture, one of them was quite big for a gemmy off Sydney though, weighing in at about 7kg.

You can see what they look like by doing a google search

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2009, 08:29:08 PM
Great Fish & pic Kasey, who is that in the picure with the fish?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2009, 11:27:57 PM
Great Fish & pic Kasey, who is that in the picure with the fish?

That would be himself...

I still can't get over that Bass Groper  ;D