Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Paul ,

SP78H SHP is indeed the " little " brother of SP78UHL in " fast " taperred of the SP series .

TBL711/35RF is the bigger brother of TBL80/30RF , slightly shorter but from completely different blank .

Check this link : http://www.carpenter.ne.jp/co%20seihinsyoukai%20rod%20gt.htm

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Paul, I have all the rods you've inquired about.

There is a lot less difference between a UHL and a SHP than you may think. Under about 15kg of drag on 130lb, I can hardly tell any difference between the two rods.They're both designed as broomsticks.

On the TBLs, I really would only focus on the 711 if you intend to target GTs of any size. You can get away with anything from about 60lb to 100lb braid with this rod.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon ,

Both SP78H and SP78UHL are " SHP " blank which is the abreviation of Super High Power , in reality the SHP blanks are thicker walled blank than those without " SHP " designate on them .

The same with TBL80/30RF SHP and TBL711/35RF , the former has thicker walled blank than the latter but I agree with you , for GT the TBL711/35RF is a better choise .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jon - you are of course right. I was referring to the EXH and UHL which are of course both SHPs. I thought Paul had an EXH, not a H which is what he has. I don't have one of these nor have I used one so I cannot offer an opinion on it.

Steve Carruthers

Hello guys, first post for me here and I'd like to thankyou all for sharing such great information. Very inspiring!!!
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new TBL 711 from Randy and Sami. It pumps me up to hear you, Jon and Brandon, speaking highly of it. I plan on throwing stickbaits at small black marling this season (if the buggers show up down here at Port Stephens) . Plus stickbaiting and popping to kings and longtail tuna. I have a dogfight to hang off it spooled with PE6 varivas GT special.
Regards, Steve.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hello guys, first post for me here and I'd like to thankyou all for sharing such great information. Very inspiring!!!
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new TBL 711 from Randy and Sami. It pumps me up to hear you, Jon and Brandon, speaking highly of it. I plan on throwing stickbaits at small black marling this season (if the buggers show up down here at Port Stephens) . Plus stickbaiting and popping to kings and longtail tuna. I have a dogfight to hang off it spooled with PE6 varivas GT special.
Regards, Steve.

Steve,

I hoping to do the same around Interclub and TBFT this year. Let me know how you go and we can exchange notes.

Good luck!

Steve Carruthers

Cheers Luke, good luck to you too mate. I think I might be highjacking if I post anymore on the marlin subject here so might start another thread after I put a bit of time into it on the water  ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Yes, the TBL is a little bit of a one of a kind rod at the moment although I know Ripple Fisher have the prototype out on a softer stickbait rod. You really do have to admire the innovative thinking of Konishi. He designs the stickbait and then a rod to work it effectively. The rod may seem soft but boy, it's got some backbone. With a TBL, Dogfight and Varivas GT PE6, you've got a top outfit there. For marlin, you'll want to run a very long leader on this. About the only question I have is whether you need PE6 (80lb) for small marlin.

once you have this together, you only need to try to get your hands onto some of those unobtainable Carpenter marlin lures!

Regards, Steve.

Steve Carruthers

Thanks Brandon, TBL landed here this morning. Looks nice, I'll see if I can get something pulling on the other end of it on the weekend  ;D
You're right I don't really need the PE6 for small blacks but i will need some half decent brake pads for the kings. Got one 11kgs over a shallow reef last week, that was fun!
Plus I'm trying to put together a trip to Taveuni, Fiji, with a couple of buds this winter so would like to be familiar with the full rig before targetting some big GTs. I'd like to get a heavier duty popping outfit before then too. That should cover all the bases hopefully..... and a blokes got to have his toys hey  ;D
Hooroo, Steve.