• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Mogi Special
September 03, 2009, 10:47:45 AM
Luke, the best time of year is now.  The boat in the link above is Enchanter, Lance is the skipper and he is the best man for the job.  Your trip is very weather dependent, and there is every chance you will be tied up to the wharf for your week there.  The Greymouth bar will scare the crap out of you, its one of the worst in NZ.  You ask about when the bigger fish are there?  You want the smaller fish if you are entertaining any kind of shot at landing one on popper or jig tackle.  Mogi got spooled once, and landed his second fish, est. 250kg, and thats a smaller NBFT.

Personally I have not traveled down to chase these monsters, as the actual hookup of the tuna requires no angler skill, but if a like minded crew was keen to try on poppers or jigs, I'm keen as.  But I think it would be the SBFT would be the better targets.  They are only about 150kg...

Thanks for the info Shane.

I'm not after glory - even though I said biggest fish (guess that's the fisherman talking inside me!).

150kg is more than enough for me! Anything is actually.

Well...if you are interested - count me in and we could start to look at some options?

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 03, 2009, 11:57:03 AM
luke,
i'm sure you'd be able to cast a I cup on an 80 wide in free spool 15m across to the hoki commercial boats  ;), would you still count that as popping though?  ;D ;D ;D
AKA: Sunny

Shane Hartstone

September 03, 2009, 12:14:30 PM
I just talked to Lance the skipper, His season down there at Greymouth is all August and half of September.  When he arrived this year,  another boat had just landed a couple of SBFT, and it took a week before any NBFT.  Lance indicated that early August would be the time to attempt to cube some SBFT to the surface for a shot on a popper/jig, if that fails, throw hoki at the trawl nets and target NBFT on Heavy Tackle.

There are other charter boats down there, But as I said before, Lance is the man.