chiazeng

Hi to all:

I want to buy a Gt popping rod, I am thinking of buying a OTI (ocean Tackle International) 7'6 popping rod.
but do not know if they hold up for the task, if they do, which model do you recommend?

the ligther model: OTI-3101-765S   200g lure max 25lbs max drag

or the heavier model: OTI-3101-768S 300g lure max 25lbs max drag

if you do not recommend them, can you please tell me why? and which will be a good, reasonably priced, rod?

thank you!

Chia Zeng

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If you are in Sydney and keen on pulling on some of the OTI sticks then I may be able to help

Callan Wallace

I us the 40-60 lb OTI 7'6" and love it. I have only caught up to 35kg GT's but the rod performed beautifully.
Cheers

Santosh Shanmuga

The OTI rods are very parabolic, and meant for drawn out battles with tuna. They will work for GTs, but if you'll be fishing an area where you need to pull fish away from bommies, I'd go with a faster rod, one meant for GT popping

chiazeng

Thanks for all the comments,

Santosh, which rod would you recommend for GT's (priced like the OTI?)

thank you,

Chia Zeng

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks for all the comments,

Santosh, which rod would you recommend for GT's (priced like the OTI?)

thank you,

Chia Zeng

Hey Chia, welcome to the forum  :)  You have any photos of roosterfish you've caught back home?  Would love to catch one one day, great looking fish.

Anyway back on topic - check out this thread about buying a GT rod -> http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=1374.0

chiazeng

Great info on rods here! just one quick question, as I am new to Gt fishing, which are the most usual popper weight to throw?

Roosterfish are fun to fish! they are chasers and they love fast poppers!!

here are some photos of Roosterfish!

roosterfish from the Surf

roosterfish from the boat:

Chia Zeng

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Great info on rods here! just one quick question, as I am new to Gt fishing, which are the most usual popper weight to throw?

Thanks for the pics, awesome  :)

I usually don't throw less than 100 or more than 150,  I find that covers a fair range of lures.  I'm not a fan of the bigger lures, you'll find a lot of people swear by them but, there's few people on here that probably don't throw anything less that 150  ;D

My opinion is a PE8, 100-150gm lure range outfit is a good place to start out and then modify lighter or heavier as you need for your location or preferred fishing style.

Santosh Shanmuga

The link Brandon posted is your best guide to buying a GT rod you will find anywhere

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

I usually don't throw less than 100 or more than 150,  I find that covers a fair range of lures.  I'm not a fan of the bigger lures, you'll find a lot of people swear by them but, there's few people on here that probably don't throw anything less that 150  ;D

You obviously haven't fished NC yet Trav, the lightest popper I used all week was 170g!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
100 gram, 200 gram doesn't make much of a difference.
Find the fish get the fish.
Seen 5 GTs over 45 kg (and one 62kg beast) taken on 100 gram Surface Bull lures and countless ones over 30kg on the same. Sometimes I think the lures are made to catch the fishermen more than the fish. ;)

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Sometimes I think the lures are made to catch the fishermen more than the fish. ;)

Of course Sachin, but don't we all love being caught!!!??  ;D ;D ;D
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

chiazeng

thanks for the replies. I usually use poppers from 70 up to 113 grams to catch roosters, jacks, dorados.. etc... (I fish in Central America)

looking at the weights that you guys use, makes me think: what is the advantage of having a heavier lure? is it the bigger size? or is it because the popper better? better distance?

can someone help me out in this one?

thank you

CZ

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I have never fished in the area mentioned but for distance , one needs to use longer rod n pencil shaped poppers but if big chuggers are needed to attract the fish then stout rod is a better choise . From friends who have fished Central America , for species such as roosters , jacks n dorados , one need not use a stout rod meant for GT but for Cubera , GT rod may be a good choise  .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .