Nathan Busteed

Whitsunday Sail's
September 04, 2009, 07:56:56 PM
Hey Guys,
Apart from the generalisation of "Around The Top of Hayman" can any one enlighten me on where and how to chase Sails on stick baits. Taking my dad up there for a week in October and he wants to catch a sail. I'm already set up with a bird and daisy chain squid teasers and will be using my 550 X-treme craft Centre Console and will be armed with a heap of ulua 150's, dogtooth 125's and R2S Downsider 200's. Any tips appreciated.

Busty

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whitsunday Sail's
September 04, 2009, 08:34:10 PM
Note that i've never caught a sail nor targetted them but just off the top of my head i'd probably troll around some big swim baits and teasers, wait till you get some interest, knock the boat out of gear and retrieve the baits/teaser and switch bait a stick in front of them?

Brett Guy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 04, 2009, 09:50:08 PM
General rules for sails would be to target water depths around the 30mt mark. Look for any bottom stuctre that would cause a current break or upwelling and concentrate your efforts around those spots. If you can't find bait in the area then go somewhere else but if you do then don't leave it.
Troll hookless teasers around and be extremely vigilant cause they are not always easy to spot. Good luck mate.

Nathan Busteed

September 05, 2009, 07:32:11 AM
General rules for sails would be to target water depths around the 30mt mark. Look for any bottom stuctre that would cause a current break or upwelling and concentrate your efforts around those spots. If you can't find bait in the area then go somewhere else but if you do then don't leave it.
Troll hookless teasers around and be extremely vigilant cause they are not always easy to spot. Good luck mate.
Cheers Brett, that the sort of info I'm looking for!! What about troll speeds, I usually sit on 6-7 knots when chasing big spanish, is that fast enough for sail's. Got any other tips anyone????

Brett Guy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 05, 2009, 06:37:47 PM
Stick to about 7kts for the troll speed and you should be fine. Gives you the opportunity to whack out a diver at the same time for macks(if your mad enoug ;D)