Simon Strydom

FG knot
September 21, 2009, 05:52:21 AM
HI Guys

just wonderingif someone could help in my frustration. Iv been using twisty leaders for my fishing but my new calstar arrived and the guy that built it put the wrong guides on and as i am far away from civilisation it is difficult for me to return it. the guides are to small as u go further up the rod and the twisty leaders are not working. Iv been looking on the site and i like the look of the FG knot the problem is i can only tie knots if someone shows me. I had a look on you tube but there are variations of it can anyone tell me which video is correct or if anyone has a better one that they could send me the link.

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks so much guys

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FG knot
September 21, 2009, 06:39:55 AM
hi simon .

no worrie,s here is the link of different way of doing it .

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2009, 04:06:43 PM
Simon - can you give us some idea on the size of the guides that have been put on? I don't want to rain on your parade with a new rod but relistically, if they're too small, a FG isn't going to help you much at all. Your only option may be to get new guides on it and if you're going to get it changed, you should be hitting up the guy for using guides that are too small now. The other more workable option for you may be to go to a shorter leader and have the connection outside the last guide. This will mean a shorter leader but  if you can get it to 4 feet, it should be fine.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Strydom

September 22, 2009, 04:12:53 AM
HI Brandon

The guides probably around a 3.5. Its pretty small i can cast a twisty leader on it but its not very effective. The guy started with nice big guides but then went alot smaller maybe you right to do a leader outside the rod guides what knot would u recommend..

Thanks for ur help

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 22, 2009, 09:25:56 PM
HI Brandon

The guides probably around a 3.5. Its pretty small i can cast a twisty leader on it but its not very effective. The guy started with nice big guides but then went alot smaller maybe you right to do a leader outside the rod guides what knot would u recommend..

Thanks for ur help

What environment are you fishing and what BS leader do you plan to use?

I personally tie a Bimini Twist double and then catspaw to a smooth solid ring - depending on leader thickness you would then tie shock leader to ring with a 5-turn uni knot or crimp.

If you don't want a solid ring in the system then Bimini Twist to form a small double, then either double uni/nail knot or Cairns  Quickie.

Hope that helps.

Ben Rutkin

September 22, 2009, 09:30:05 PM
I personally, make sure the guides are the size I need, especially if I have paid for it.

That way I can use whatever set up I prefer.... 

Send it back.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 22, 2009, 09:34:06 PM
I share Ben's sentiments

I personally, make sure the guides are the size I need, especially if I have paid for it.

That way I can use whatever set up I prefer.... 

Send it back.
If it swims; I want to catch it!