Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Light tackle option
September 29, 2009, 08:26:58 AM
Hey guys,

I am wanting to expand my arsenal to cover light tackle fishing when in places like Fiji, New Cal and the like, for inside the lagoons and stuff if popping gets too hard etc

I am thinking a PE4 or 5 outfit would probably be the go. I figure mainly small poppers like roostas and little stickbaits will be the go, but I also intend to use this rod for casting slugs at smaller sized tuna on the surface, as well as maybe plastics inshore

There is real difficulty I have found in finding the sort of stock I am interested in around Sydney to have a look and feel of...at the moment I am leaning towards the Smith GTK 74PG or a Hots Tide Lez 72M...my plan at the moment is to match it up with my Stella 8000FA with 50lb braid

I would be really interested in any suggestions or comments re the above

cheers

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Light tackle option
September 29, 2009, 09:12:03 AM
Scott,

I have a GTK74PG. It throws 65gm metals, 60gm Nomad Uluas and 135mm Rooster poppers very well.
It is matched with either a 4500H Catalina for mackeral/tuna/trevally and a 4000 Certate for smaller softplastic fishing.
A 6000/8000 Stella you are thinking of would be fine.
I bought it from the Guys and Gal at Fishhead. I think they normally have GTK's in stock.
Haven't used the Hots so can't comment on it.

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 29, 2009, 01:13:19 PM
 I use a SaltigaTN80 matched to a Stella8000 FA as a lighter outfit. The rod was was recommended by Brandon and seems a very well balanced set up. I've cast and worked up to 80g stickbaits and the 135mm halco poppers with it.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 29, 2009, 05:41:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I run an Anglers Republic (Palms) Dolphin Class 7'6"MH teamed with an 8000 Stella.  Very nice & well balanced set up.....looks very pretty too !!!

Dave

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 29, 2009, 06:03:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I run an Anglers Republic (Palms) Dolphin Class 7'6"MH teamed with an 8000 Stella.  Very nice & well balanced set up.....looks very pretty too !!!

Dave

Hey Dave where did you get that from? Never heard of that one.. would be curious to see it?

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2009, 03:30:24 AM
Hey David,

If we manage to sort a days fishing out I'll bring it along.

Picked up the palms rod a little while back now. Little bit crisper in action than the KGS.  I think this guy stocks them.

www.easttackle.com

Cheers    Dave

Sheldon Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 02, 2009, 12:59:28 PM
Sorry Scott, for hijacking this thread a little but on the topic of light pop rods, has anyone heard or pulled on this one

Xtream Tomahawk
8'2"/Max Line PE6/Max Lure 150g

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 02, 2009, 02:50:21 PM
I use Carpenter ( what else ) BC75MHS , this rod is very capable for casting light lures 30 ~ 80 gr. and I have subdued GT up to 20 kg. and YFT up to 25 kg without problem . I match this rod with Z4500 filled with PE4 line .

Rated for PE 4~5 , it weighs only 340 gr. and can handle 7 kg max. drag .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
October 02, 2009, 06:44:16 PM
Hi Scott,

ANother option, which might be easier to track down, the Ocean Revolution Stealth STK 76. Designed in conjucntion with SMith LTD, so very similar to the KGS... wicked Kevlar wrapping on the butt section... Super light but got tons of power when you need it for such a light stick...

Here are the specs:
Rod Length: 7'6"

Pack Length:            1575mm
Pieces:                 2 Piece (Butt-joint)
Weight:                 300g
Line:                   PE5
Lure:                   40g-120g
Fighting Drag:          5Kg at 45Deg
Maximum Drag:           7Kg at 45Deg
Fore-grip:              195mm
Rear-grip:              425mm
Guides:                 Fuji MNSG 30J,25J,20J,16J,12J,12J 
Top:                    Fuji MNST 12
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Antoni Seid

October 02, 2009, 09:40:55 PM
What is the difference between the GTK 74PG and STK 76H, besides the size and weight?

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 02, 2009, 10:13:03 PM
Hi Antoni,

Besides what you mentioned being the length, the STK is 2' longer, and weight, the GTK is 11 grams lighter, the GTK has a max casting weight of 130grams, the shorter length perhaps enabling it to handle slightly heavier lures on the top end, where the STK max recommended weight is 120 grams.

Both rods are rated up to PE 5, and a max drag of 7 kilos, with the GTK having a recommended fighting drag of 4 kilos, and the STK at 5 Kilos.

Otherwise I believe the rods are of similar performance, but with about $100USD difference in price.

Hope this helps..

Antoni Seid

October 02, 2009, 10:42:09 PM
Hi Andre,

I would like information about action of the blank, which model is faster and stiff.

Thank You.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 02, 2009, 11:51:47 PM
Hi Antoni

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of fishing both rods,only the Ocean Revolution STK 76 ( along with the full range of the rest of the OR Popping Rods ) so can't compare the actions of the two rods unfortunatelty.

I will say that the OR rod has a moderate fast action blank, with heaps of power for such an incredibly light rod. At the same time, its got a very forgiving action in the blank, so makes fish fighting a breeze,... Being so light and sensitive, it makes smaller targets still very enjoyable, doesn't feel overpowered, but when you need it, the rod has alot of great butt strength and power throughout the blank... how they achieve this I really couldn't tell you, but I guess thats part of the magic of top quality rods I guess ! ;-)

The OR is pretty fast, and VERY crisp.... feels like a laser beam in hand!

Hopefully someone who has fished the GTK can give you some feedback on this rod.

AustralianAngling

October 04, 2009, 01:47:50 PM
Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:05:25 PM by Steve

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 04, 2009, 06:05:23 PM
KGS blanks are readily available for custom rod works , not sure about the STK but I am pretty certain GTK is not sold as blank but only as Smith rod .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .