Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hypothetical...
October 04, 2009, 11:09:50 PM
Something that just came to me the other day while daydreaming i'd say.  The Gt popping community are generally very pro-release and into doing minimal harm to the fish during capture.  We also love to see the epically big fish and hear of the battles and we all know that as far as fishing is concerned there's no point telling someone you caught a monster specimen if you have no proof.  So what would you do if you were out fishing and landed an 80, 90 or 100kg GT....and every device you had to record the catch had flat batteries?  Do you keep the fish to take back and get proof of the once in a lifetime catch or release it?  

Not sure if i've formed an opinion yet but a few things that I mulled over - how old is a fish that big and is it still a viable breeding stock?  How much longer would a fish that size have to live? How would a fish that big release after what would obviously be an intense fight and capture? What's to be gained from keeping it? Tough one...
Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:14:02 PM by travis heaps

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Hypothetical...
October 04, 2009, 11:45:29 PM
easy one for me, Travis - I'd let it go.

My fishing is for my enjoyment and nothing else. I'm I don't see I have anything to prove to anyone else and to kill a fish that size just for a photo is the old big game hunter attitude. If a fish has the hook down and it takes some time to get it out, I don't generally even take a photo. The objective is to get it back in the water fast.

That's the mean reason I stopped fishing for doggies on jig. They're a great fish and I love catching them but the stupid things tend to die on you when they're bought up from deep water. It's just not worth killing so many fish - but that is a personal view.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 01:37:04 AM
IMO I wouldn't even have to think about it, as long as 'I' know I caught it that would be enough for me  ;D.The only fish I keep for any reason are fish fresh for the table and I freeze nothing.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ben Rutkin

October 05, 2009, 01:58:19 AM
Thats like asking if you would take Batmans mask off if you beat him in a fight or would you cheat on your wife if propositioned by Miranda Kerr.

The correct answer is 'Wake up Pumpkin, you'll dirty the sheets'.

Everyone knows Batman is invincible and Miranda Kerr lives overseas.

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 07:51:39 AM
No question, I'd let it go.

Ben, that was funny ;D

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 09:00:19 AM
Let it go, even more so if its not a good eating fish. Who care about a photo, its knowing that you caught it. Leigh

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 09:33:00 AM
Batman isn't invincible if you're superman. :D

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 09:37:05 AM

;Dtrue, but even elton john would find Miranda Kerr attractive

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 03:43:32 PM
I am not at all sure of that!!!   :D

;Dtrue, but even elton john would find Miranda Kerr attractive

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 09:45:15 PM
I (my-self) am honestly not saying this cause other's have but more on the fact that it is what i would truly do my-self and regardless of the size,  I will allway's do this and have this attiude.

I AM NOT A MACHO MAN and i would seriously land it as quick and as fast as i could so i can release it as fast as possible and as healthy as possibly,  no question's asked,   with 1 or 2 very quick photo's before as quick and as fast of  a release as possible.
Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:52:21 PM by Sam Conacher

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 10, 2009, 09:57:25 AM
Really??  Far more satisfaction in being able to release the fish I think. However if after an exhaustive attempt to revive and release the fish is unsuccessful you might as well consider what else to do with it instead of leaving it for the sharks.