Kurt Carlson

Bibbed Lures Casting
October 11, 2009, 04:38:00 PM
Just wondering how many of you folks have chucked bibbed lures when nothing else seems to work.  I have been quite successful hooking up from land for GTs when nothing else is working. 

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bibbed Lures Casting
October 11, 2009, 04:58:22 PM
Now that wouldn't be GT 'Popping' wouldn't it  :D

What bibbed lures you been using Kurt?

Kurt Carlson

October 11, 2009, 05:14:58 PM
True statement, but neither would stick baiting for that matter.  Most of my stick baits rarely hit the surface. 

The bibbed lures I have most luck with so fare are from Offshore Angler. I don't have any more as they have been stolen by Barracuda.  I will look up the model number and post it.

The bibbed lures make a good alternative when casting from the rocks into deep water.  I work them a lot like the stick baits.  The ones I use have a pretty big bib as I am trying to see if the fish are running deep.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2009, 09:23:44 PM
I almost got suspended for suggesting this a couple of years back and I'm a moderator!!    :'(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 12:19:33 AM
I used to file down the bib's a little on the rapala x-rap 30's and cast them for GT's a few years back before i could get stick baits.

They swim erratically after the mod and I lost several of them to GT's casting them off the rocks.
Set the ray to GeeT

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 09:47:12 AM
Bibbless minnows would be good to cast like Yo-Zuri Bonitas,i rekon they would get a few fish..

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 11:11:51 AM
My new discovery during the last tuna season is K Ten 175SW , it casts well using OMA92 but won't have enough weight for shorter GT rods . I use smaller K Ten minnows in my freshwater / estuary fishing targetting bigger speciments to good successes .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 11:34:05 AM
Hi Kurt,

Hope the seas around Tonga are being kind to you.

Regarding casting bibbed minnows when nothing else works - I think you should continue. After all, that big GT that Fukui caught off the rocks in Vava'u was caught on a bibbed minnow after drawing a blank with poppers and stickbaits. My guess is that there arn't too many other GT anglers with more experience than Kenzaburo Fukui.

best regards,

malcolm

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 12:54:32 PM
more seriously, it comes down to how much of a purist you want to be and that;'s really all it's about. I suppose the analogy is some people reckon there is only one acceptable way to catch a bonefish and that is on fly. If your primary objective is simply to catch fish, minnows may very well turn the trick if you're having no luck on anything else or they may even work better - only one way to find out.

Me, I'll use anything - I was the one who wanted to drop live fusiliers along the cliffs at some of the Shoalwater locations!

I've been secretly trying to find a minnow that is big, heavy and strong enough to use for GT fishing but I really haven't had much luck. I think it needs to be a shallow diver with probably a very stong bib that is part of the moulded construction otherwise a big strike on the head of the lure could snap the bib off. I'd also like it to be a very slow sinking lure.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 01:19:34 PM
Brandon, have you looked at the Souls Brabus/Shibuki minnows. They are 110 grams or so, slow sinking and are available in bibbed and lipless forms. Meant for large tuna and rigged  with heavy wire throughout.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 01:25:38 PM
Hi Andrew - thanks for that
I have both lures already but they're relatively small compared to a GT lure. The construction on these lures is fantastic

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 01:32:21 PM
Yeah- they are slim in profile given that they are meant for tuna. Im not sure how many minnows are around to fit the bill.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
October 12, 2009, 02:23:02 PM
Yeah- they are slim in profile given that they are meant for tuna. Im not sure how many minnows are around to fit the bill.

Shibukis look great for tuna

Kurt Carlson

October 13, 2009, 05:13:53 AM
I have not been able to find the lure I was using in the past from Offshore Angler.  I do know it was about 20cm with a plastic bib and through wire.  I only find metal lips on the website now. 

My preferences are with casting.  I really don't care if I am throwing a popper, a bibbed lure, or a spoon for that matter (haven't tried a fork yet  ;D).  Using my own power to move something through the water is so much more fun than using a boat.