• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Knot in Development
March 13, 2007, 10:45:04 PM
I am quite honestly fed up with knots designed for single strand leaders with no knot in the mono that don't tie easily, fast or handle themselves in regards to shock load and general breaking point.

Have been spending a few hours tonight playing around with some different knots from scratch to see what i come up with.

The basis of the first knot (yet to be comprehensively tested):

1. Using a tag of around 30cm of PE, form a nail knot consist of 7 turns (do not snug) (Note we are starting at the top of the knot and making our way down).
2. Pass the tag through the nail knot in the direction that the end of the leader with lure would be.
3. Make 6 tight diagonal wraps around the shock leader.
4. Make 2 consecutive close wraps around the shock leader then form a 5 turn uni knot (lightly snug).
5. Now that you have formed a uni knot, the tag should be pointing in the opposite direction, now make 8 more tight diagonal wraps around the shock leader back towards the nail knot beginning.
6. Pass the tag back through the nail knot.
7. Slowly snug the mainline PE and the shock leader (do this slowly and also snug the tag of the mainline - this should start removing the slight gap that is formed between the 6/8 wraps and the nail knot.

Result is very close snugged wraps at the bottom of the knot, progessing up to wraps that go from tighter to less tight (biting to gradually less biting) + more spacing then into a nail knot. Trim and lightly glue tag end.

Initial thoughts: easy to tie, snugs up well and bites well similar to a midknot (but easier to tie). Performs well under constant load (couldn't break it without putting excessive pressure) but have not played much with shock loading. Did break once but this was on the mainline and not the knot....need to try out with some different braids. Have tried in 80lb and trying to tie in 130lb to see if it still bites well...
Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:48:47 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: New Knot in Development
March 14, 2007, 07:32:37 AM
Luke - an albright tied with a single strand of braid to a single strand of leader is a strong reliable knot.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 04:27:20 PM
Lukes Knot  ::) ::) ::) ::)sounds good but I'll wait for the pics.
 Berniek, had trouble casting an albright [50 Braid/80 FC] on a 6' rod because the knot was on the reel and the braid catches at the base of the knot even after trimming.  It's seems OK when just releasing for Jigging.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 04:33:14 PM
Luke - an albright tied with a single strand of braid to a single strand of leader is a strong reliable knot.

Sure the Albright is up there with some of the best but i still don't like the slight bulkiness to it (from the doubled mono).

The is knot is only as thick as the mono shock leader you are using.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 04:34:34 PM
Lukes Knot  ::) ::) ::) ::)sounds good but I'll wait for the pics.

Should be coming soon mate, as soon as i am happy with the knots ability to handle shock load (sorry, don't mean to sound like i have that answer though :P)

Cheers,
Luke

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 04:41:18 PM
No hurry mate, me and them fish ain't goin nowhere ;).
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 08:39:25 PM
Luke - I'll be really impressed if you can come up with a single strand knot as you describe!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 09:14:32 PM
Luke - I'll be really impressed if you can come up with a single strand knot as you describe!!

Well it comes out and ties great...bites in quite well too.

Just need to test the shock load factor and test out in water...