Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just wondering if anyone has a preference for an "entry level" popper, either the R2S Dumbell (200mm) or the Halco Roosta 195 "Haymaker" ? I have used the R2S but haven't tried the Haymaker.
I like the fact that the R2S has factory Owner hardware, vs mustad 5X on the Halco, although the finish on the Halco appears superior.
I'm not trying to compare these lures to the top end brands and designs, as this has been pretty well documented previously. Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks,
Scott.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Dumbbells are a good lure - unfortunately,  they can get snapped at the neck by the GTs. 
I also wouldn't place much faith in the Owner trebles that come with the lures. The only Owner treble that can stand up to the abuse dished out by GTs are the ST-76s
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
A bloke used a haymaker for a lot of our Nomad trip and it stood up to the abuse suprisingly well, i think theyre tougher than the dumbells. The dumbells are mainly wood and although i dont know the numbers it seems it would be heavier so it would cast better. Grab a couple of both and upgrade the hooks, good starting point.

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Brandon, I recall reading in another of your posts about the neck being the weak point. Do you know if they are one piece wire and if you would stand a chance of retaining a fish even with the neck breaking during the fight?

Thanks Travis, interesting about one standing up ok on the Nomad trip. They are similar weight, both ~110grams, I may be wrong but the R2S "looks" like it would cast better, although that may prove to be a stupid statement.....

Scott.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The Dumbbell does have a through wire construction so it should hold together even if the neck is broken.

It also will cast better than the Roosta. The big Roosta is quite a decent lure too. It doesn't cast real good though and I just have a concern about using moulded plastic lures for GTs. They will stand-up to the abuse ok but I'm just worried about another breaking at the wrong time. I had this happen a few years ago when a GT broke one of my stickbaits in half.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
I love the Roosters better than the dumbells,halcos put off a reel deep blooping sound.. ;)

Aaron Concord

Another point is I have found the R2S's is more stable is rough water.

Both work well. I have seen 35kg class GT's taken on both.

For a pair of starter lures they are fine.

It is when you amp up your drag settings or expect 10 GT's or more on each lure that you may start looking at other products.

Having the wire harness and body hold together is pretty important on these fish!!!!!!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
My preference is still for the wooden through-wired lures but please don't think these are necessarily bulletproof either. Most of the premium lures use premium components but a known weak point in a number of the more affordable through-wired lures is the swivel on the belly. Quite a number of anglers have found to their dismay that the cheaper swivels can be broken by a decent fish.

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Will definitely be giving both a go, it sounds like they both deserve a place as an entry level option.

Scott.