Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kaibatsu Broken on GT
December 18, 2009, 10:36:29 PM
Look like the same place as where my mate broke his. He will be back in town on tomorrow so I will have a look.
You expect the top section to go and I have loaded up a DM so wickedly in the past and it has held.
GT fishing I guess.

Aiii ;)
Set the ray to GeeT

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 18, 2009, 11:53:29 PM
there is no rod in the market that doesn't break,
rods has a life time just like any other things that we buy,
from what i saw i don't believe that the problem is from the rod or high sticking,
i am a big fan of Daiwa but from my experience i believe that at the time that the fish decided to take off the drag didn't give,
the dogfight tend to be a bit sticky on the drag side, if you change to carbonex you will feel a bit safer,

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 03:09:17 AM
Look like the same place as where my mate broke his. He will be back in town on tomorrow so I will have a look.
You expect the top section to go and I have loaded up a DM so wickedly in the past and it has held.
GT fishing I guess.

Aiii ;)

Hi Andrew ,

The three rods in this thread broke at around about the same area , in my opinion the blanks from which the handles are made isn't up to the task and it's the weakest point of those rods , hence the breakage .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
Hi Jon / Sami,

It looks like there is a week point there, though to be fair the WV80XH appears to have an issue with the top part of the handle splitting, a different stress point though???

That Dogfight certainly had c-tex drag washers installed. I know the drag was locked down pretty good and I think Sami's analysis is fairly spot on. I think a big head turn and and the drag sticking did it.

I've used both rods, just my 2 cent but i think in extreme situations where drags are near locked the kaibatsu has too much handle for the rod and the WV too much rod for the handle. Though under normal conditions both rods are great.

GT fishing certainly finds the week points in all equipment eventually.
Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:14:09 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 11:45:46 AM
I think you summed it up well Andy and Sami.

Most certainly a butt join design issue in both the Shimano & Carpenter. Understandably, two pieces exherting pressure on the other - the weakness is found with high drag pressure.

Collateral damage in the quest for GT. Such experiences keep us searching for GT - we wouldn't have the respect we do if this mighty fish couldn't break an anglers will or push gear to the point of failure.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 05:13:50 PM
Hi Jon / Sami,

It looks like there is a week point there, though to be fair the WV80XH appears to have an issue with the top part of the handle splitting, a different stress point though???

Top part of the handle splitting is mostly caused by the rod being loosely inserted into the handle when the strike occurs , this loosening can be attributed by continuous casting where the big knot between the PE line n the heavy leader , nowaday I prefer to use lighter leader + heavy bite leader because of this .

The splitting of the handle has been known to happen on other models in Carpenter line so it is not inherent to WV alone , the repair is quite easy though , just wrap the split blank with thread used for wrapping guides and then put a new EVA grip over it , the handle can be used again without any problem .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 11:03:18 PM
I think you summed it up well Andy and Sami.

Collateral damage in the quest for GT. Such experiences keep us searching for GT - we wouldn't have the respect we do if this mighty fish couldn't break an anglers will or push gear to the point of failure.

well said Luke,
that is what keep us coming back,respect and challenge :)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 20, 2009, 08:11:23 PM
Seemed to have some drag bounce as well on the footage which may have had something to do with it but like Luke says ultimately something will give. I have used the Surface Monster and it is a very unforgiving rod. Used my Long Cast Kaibutsu today and got an estimated 25kg model. Very good under load for fish that size. Just hope it does not break any time soon.

Brad Burgess

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 22, 2009, 02:16:16 PM
All good points mentioned guys. The size of the fish on that particular reef are enormous, we never bagged one there that trip. After losing a fair amount of poppers, the drag was tensioned higher with every popper lost. If we had a better boat it may have been a different story.

Full credit to Shimano for replacing the butt, something had to give. The rod was 5 days old. I feel the butts on the SM are 2 or 3 inches too long and it is hard to get a good grip further up the rod especially on the bigger fish. Awkward to lever them.

The next trip we pulled in some monsters on a similar Kaibatsu.

Brad

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 22, 2009, 02:42:14 PM
All good points mentioned guys. The size of the fish on that particular reef are enormous, we never bagged one there that trip. After losing a fair amount of poppers, the drag was tensioned higher with every popper lost. If we had a better boat it may have been a different story.

Full credit to Shimano for replacing the butt, something had to give. The rod was 5 days old. I feel the butts on the SM are 2 or 3 inches too long and it is hard to get a good grip further up the rod especially on the bigger fish. Awkward to lever them.

The next trip we pulled in some monsters on a similar Kaibatsu.

Brad

Welcome to the forum Big Unit...caught any 25 kg red bass lately :o ;)
Set the ray to GeeT