Neil Griffiths

Non Seriola jigging
June 16, 2007, 09:42:11 AM
One thing occupying me on my jigging trips recently is trying to work out how to specifically target non Seriolas. Ambos Sambos and Kings don't provide huge challenges when it comes to getting bites on jigs, sure they have their moments when better jigs and techniques are required, but by and large they are mega aggressive and are happy to eat when you find them.
Snapper, Pearlies and other bottom species are another thing altogether. We mostly catch them by accident while trying for sea monsters.
So it would seem that a whole different regime is required. Here is a few things that are working for me.
Firstly don't go to your best Seriola marks as that will negate the whole effort.

Use a mega slow jigging style.

Try a non jigging(basically holding rod and letting boat rock and roll move jig)

Jig close to the bottom, no more than 3-5 metres up.

Use smaller jigs for smaller mouthed species. Try Smith Mejiume or CB Masamune in 135g to 165g. These are centre balance jigs and as such have a slow wide action.

Lumo seems to be especially good a times.

Use a rod to compliment the jig size and action.

30 to 50lb braid and lighter leader will allow smaller jigs to get down more efficiently.

Get good hook coverage, one short and one long assist. Bottom ooglies have a habit of pecking at the jig. Check out Decoy Tirashi assists for a pre made option.

These techniques work spectacularly well up the reef also, the guides at Marion could not believe the Trout GT and Jobby action doing things this way.

Neil

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Non Seriola jigging
June 16, 2007, 11:10:12 AM
Well said Neil
What a great bit of information makes sense.
Cant wait to give this ago.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 16, 2007, 12:28:03 PM
Cam, "Try a non jigging (basically holding rod and letting boat rock and roll move jig)" is Tiny's style, but he uses the rod holder. ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 11:55:29 AM
yeh need some of those trout bells so i can sleep like Tiny does and wake up only when the bells ring.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 12:00:13 PM
some of the jigs wok better at slow speed. My favourite jig, the Nagamasa, work really well when worked very slowly and allowed to flutter like a sick or dying fish. Since I found that out, I like the jig even more (very lazy and get too tired with a fast action jig)!! ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 12:18:26 PM
I have a Nagamasa and have allways worked it fast for little result ,now i try going slow on it.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Neil Griffiths

June 18, 2007, 06:46:15 PM
Understanding jig action relative to the shape of the jig as well as the contribution of rod action and jigging style is one of the last unknowns in jig fishing. The more thought you apply to the subject the more nuances you find. We accept all the variations in plastic lure design but struggle with the same thing in metal lures.
We're all still learning.

Neil

PS 55kg doggie at Marion caught on 280g Nagamasa ..... it didn't make it home with me though. 

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 06:52:45 PM
Learning learning and learning
cheers Neil for all the info.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER