Ben Gudgeon

Braid Advice
October 16, 2009, 02:39:47 PM
Hi all ,

I am after some braid advice, I have a Dogfight and a Saltiga expedition rod, I want to put 100 pd on it.  It will be used mainly for poppers and stick baits 120-200gr.  Hopefully able to buy it in 300m rolls.

Great site btw 

Cheers Ben

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Braid Advice
October 16, 2009, 03:57:27 PM
Hi Ben, difficult to offer advice when we don't know what you're willing to spend.

At the top of the pile there is Varivas Avani GT SMP which is available in PE6 (90lb) and PE8 (120lb). Then there's Varivas Avani GT PE8 (100lb) which is available from Fishhead in 300m spools although you save quite a bit if you buy 600m. Alot of people have said quite good things about the Jerry Brown 100lb which is available at only a fraction of the cost.
Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:59:03 PM by Jay Burgess

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 16, 2009, 05:02:10 PM
The other option is Tufline XP - used by a lot of people and i've heard very few, if any, complaints.  Reasonably priced as well.

Ben Gudgeon

October 16, 2009, 07:10:29 PM
Hi, 600m is fine. I will check out the fishhead site,  I have used jigman, finns and daiwa braid to up to 80pd but never ventured into the 100 pd. Its good to hear others opinions.

Cheers

Just a thought freind a and I talked about the other day, with the daiwa tournament braid having a white dash/spot every meter or so, has anyone had a toothy critter bite on these markings?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 16, 2009, 07:26:07 PM
it really comes down to your threshold of pain in terms of what you want to spend. Is Varivas GT better to use? I would say yes but when you look at its price compared to the Jerry Brown and when you consider it is probably only a few percent nicer to use, boy, that's a lot to pay.

On your second question, speak to anyone who jigs regularly off Sydney. They get absolutely terrorised by leatherjackets and the guys in the know all use that dull green coloured TF XP.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Gudgeon

October 16, 2009, 07:57:57 PM
After abit of snooping, the Jerry Brown is available for $150,100lb 600m,  I ll go this way I think.

Thanks all