Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black Magic Supple 200lb
October 20, 2009, 11:47:07 PM
Hi guys
Has anyone tried this leader. It is a lot thicker then many other stuff on the shop shelf but I have had really good experience with the 40lb stuff so grabbed a spool of 200lb too. Would you recomend something other then this for popping in Fiji?

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Black Magic Supple 200lb
October 21, 2009, 07:24:40 AM
I am a fan of Black Magic and use it in various breaking strains. Works for me....

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 21, 2009, 07:29:09 AM
I really like the Black Majic Supple range. I use it in 100 and 120lb for twisted leaders. I am going to try 150 and 200 for single with a short length doubled as a bite tippet

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 08:41:15 AM
Rohit, if you find the leader knots well for the purpose you are using it for, by all means. What I look for in a twisted leader is toughness. My favourite was Penn 10X which was cheap as cheaps but tough as hell. It was a real mongrel to make twisted leaders with but they were good!

For a single strand leader with a friction knot, you want a leader that is soft enough that the braid will bite into it. This is particularly the case with a FG knot. for a PR knot, I use anything but simply ensure that on the harder braids that I make the knot a bit a bit longer.

For the knot you have developed, I suggest you look for a softer leader.

Hi guys
Has anyone tried this leader. It is a lot thicker then many other stuff on the shop shelf but I have had really good experience with the 40lb stuff so grabbed a spool of 200lb too. Would you recomend something other then this for popping in Fiji?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 09:08:14 AM
Agree with all comments. Also suggest checking it out Shogun leader material (can't quite remember exact name).

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 01:24:53 PM
Brandon,

I actually heard this quite some time ago and i think it would work but i have not tried it, that is not to say that it does or does not work.

from memory it is only on fluorocarbon, you use some rough sandpaper and it helps the braid grab and bite into the fluoro leader when using friction knots.

i am just wondering,

i do not see my self why it could not work, would this work though and would it be worth trying and doing or not?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 01:34:50 PM
Just use a long PR knot - it will not slip if you tie it properly.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 01:41:39 PM
ok,  thanks.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2009, 04:45:14 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas, good to see positive views on the black magic. Its been my fav leader for kings and snapper

I'll grab some shogun too and play with both