• GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter June 2007
June 16, 2007, 04:35:53 PM
Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter June 2007

Here is an excerpt:

"Marion Reef 2007
Most of you probably won't believe what you are about to read, but it is all as it happened at Marion Reef, and the guys who were lucky enough to see it can confirm everything we say here. Read the trip report from Malcolm Crane or Chris Harrison. The highlight of the Marion reef May 2007 trips was without doubt the packs of huge GTs in the shallows that left us with some of the most jaw dropping sights we have ever seen. Mind you the sailfish on soft plastics were a blast as well.
GTs in the 70-80kg range, the biggest any of us have ever seen, were in large numbers at Marion Reef in May 2007. How about seeing a pair of 6ft (yes they were at least 1.8m long) GTs fighting over something on top of a bommie in less than a metre of water only 40 feet away from the side of the boat. Yes, that's 2 of the biggest GTs we have ever seen locked in battle over what we assume was a fish or some piece of food. It was like watching a pair of pit bulls fighting over a steak. For more accounts of our monster GT action and some great pics of everything else from Marion Reef 2007..."

We have also added some Nomad sections to the main website in which you can see reports and videos here:
Nomad Shoalwater Bay
Nomad Kenn Reef
More coming soon...
Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:08:06 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter June 2007
June 18, 2007, 12:24:19 PM
Making me very nervous about going there next year in May.Still cant wait though.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 06:18:17 PM

"GTs in the 70-80kg range, the biggest any of us have ever seen"

All I can say is when I get their, they better eat their WeetBix and I hope they are not camera shy.........

8)
Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:20:27 PM by Peter Lowe

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 06:29:30 PM
I'm glad you put on that 10kg cam, saves me holding on to your feet. ::) ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 06:51:08 PM
Should have another 10kg by ,then that should keep me in the boat.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 07:17:06 PM
Pete - I'll look forward to seeing this contest! A GT that size will be looking to eat you for breakfast, not weetbix ;D

All I can say is when I get their, they better eat their WeetBix and I hope they are not camera shy.........

8)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

lonhro

June 18, 2007, 07:28:46 PM

8)

GOD i am so jealous. what i wouldn't do to see you guys at these powerful creatures. :-\ :-\ :-\ :(

do they need a deckie  :'(

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 07:47:08 PM
Randy - the reality when you hook on to a beast of this size is that the angler can only grit their teeth and hang on for dear life. You have almost no control at all over the fish and all you can do is try to get into that low almost squatting position and hope that the fish doesn't pull out of that stance. This is where your drag rating really becomes a trade-off. Too tight and the fish will almost certainly pull you out of your stance and too little and it will simply pull enough line off to cut you off somewhere. Of course, if you weigh 120kgs and are strong as hell, you may be able to hang on and keep some control.

I cannot even imagine how strong an 80kg fish would be but in a straight pull against a 50 kg fish, I am in deep trouble. My experence is I can handle fish up to around the 35kg and keep my dignity impact. Any bigger and the fish will dish out as much as it gets from me.

If you came along, you would see carnage - but primarily on the anglers and their gear, not the fish!!
Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:38:37 PM by Brandon

lonhro

June 18, 2007, 09:26:53 PM
OH how i dream to go on one of these trips one day.

To be able to see someone of an average build, take on a 80kg of muscle well thats what it is all about.

i am certain if i was on the other side of the rod i would be in the drink, or i would be respooling my reel.

how often do your knots give way ???

And how much is this trip costing again ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 18, 2007, 09:42:47 PM
You won't be respooling your reel. the fish won't need much line to cut you off and they are not generally a fish that will run and spool you.

Touch wood but I haven't had a bimimi/twisted leader give but I have had an FG knot go on me. Most likely my fault but I haven't used the FG since. In terms of the cost of the trip, I think there may be one spot left but I am nto sure. If you book in and pay your deposit before 30 June, I think it is $4950 otherwise price rise of about 10% after that. You can check with Claire at [email protected]

OH how i dream to go on one of these trips one day.

To be able to see someone of an average build, take on a 80kg of muscle well thats what it is all about.

i am certain if i was on the other side of the rod i would be in the drink, or i would be respooling my reel.

how often do your knots give way ???

And how much is this trip costing again ???

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 08, 2007, 10:01:15 AM
the reality when you hook on to a beast of this size is that the angler can only grit their teeth and hang on for dear life. You have almost no control at all over the fish and all you can do is try to get into that low almost squatting position and hope that the fish doesn't pull out of that stance.

Yer Yer - bring it on.........   8) -  lock it up or go home I say....   :)  I look forward to him towing me around in Odyssey, might take us to his bigger brother's home for you to hook up too Brandon.....

Let's go.........

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)