Overhead popping
November 06, 2009, 02:51:48 PM

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Overhead popping
November 06, 2009, 08:25:22 PM
What rod would you use? Distance is the name of the game usually so a long rod is necessary (although being landbased this may not be absolutely true if you have decent foot access to the main points - youre already standing on what most people are casting at :) although it would help with clearing line over ledges etc with a fish coming in). My point being that a long rod plus heavy lure will generate a lot of line speed, if that goes wrong you'll end up with one hell of an over run, snapped line or even reel damage. The drag arguement isnt really a major issue, the amount of adjustment you'll need in a gt fight is easily done on a spinning reel i reckon.  All in all, ive seen it done and gts caught, it would do for a bit of fun on a slow day on the stones but it wouldnt be my suggestion for a dedicated outfit.   

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2009, 09:27:02 PM
A friend tried , after 2 days of not catching any n getting abused at the same time by other participants due to time wasting caused by birdness after birdness , demoted him to be our cameraman for the subsequent 3 days after refusing to use spinning outfit .  We have not fished together since then but rumours are he just bought a Trinidad DC reel !  :o

Jon .
Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:29:21 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2009, 10:13:17 PM
I remember an article from a couple of years ago where some fishing journalist wrote that that Shimano Torsa was one of the most popular reels for GT popping. I still haven't come upon anyone using one yet!

That said, I understand that overheads are quite popular for shore-based casting with plugs in South Africa.

I just think that the overruns would be horrendous.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 06, 2009, 10:24:38 PM
You can do it with skipping style poppers/plugs where you get to maintain tension and speed (I used a torium 30, and now a saltist 30th). But, you still end up donating lures to the rock gods when you fluff a cast and overrun on a sinking style lure.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 03:06:09 AM
As Brandon said, SA anglers have been using overheads for years for popping/spinning in the surf zones... This is usually using 12 to 14 ft rods, and skipping type plugs like chisel nose and long pencil poppers.... They also use mono, usually 0.55mm and are casting 100 to 140 metres in surf zones where the loooong casts are required...

Even with the introduction of top end spinning reels, Saffas being Saffa's, the heard headed bunch we are, still for the most part use overheads ( Daiwa SL30, SL 50, Trindads etc ) for spinning in the surf zones... this is also due mainly to the prohibitive costs of quality spinning reels here, and until recently the lack of quality popping rods..

With practise, and most of these guys have years of it, using an overhead is defintely feasible... but only when using skipping plugs as one can't really "pop" with a overhead, you can just crank really...
Another issue is line lay... you have to be sure you keep winding the line on properly to avoid bunch ups.... so you are often watching the spool and miss the beauty of a surface strike, one of the greatest moments in surface fishing...

Also the need for alot of space to cast an overhead, and the difficulty of casting lighter baits into the wind, for me, takes Overheads out of game for me....

Add to that the likelyhood of "Buck-fever" just when you need to make a good cast, when you see some GT's, you might well end up like this:

No fun in my books....

As to casting with Lever Drags... Avet claims good casting abilities with some of their reels, and I used to surf cast with a Shimmy TLD 15, but in copmarison with star drag reels like Trini's, Torium's and Saltists and Saltiga, they have a long way to go.....

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 07:38:26 AM
That birds nest is big enough for a pelican almost ;D

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 09:20:53 AM
Landbased GT fishermen in Mauritius use mainly the penn 345 GTI (yeah i know, heavy, bulky and slow retrieve, 4m purglas rod, 80lb mono and 150 lb leader. popper of choice is yozuri surface bull. it's definitely a south african combination being adopted by mauritians GT fishos. As Andre said, its a low and affordable cost. These guys can cast over 100m with ease and get in the strike zone.

the question is....can modern spin reels/shorter rod combo with braid cast over 100m?

cheers
bertrand

Kevin Li

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 12:17:34 PM
Bertrand: Strange, as I've not seen any fisherman fishing with a purglass in Mauritius? However there is a famous guide who uses the set up mentioned, penn gti and purglass.
Eventhough I have super powerful stiff long surfcasting poles and multipliers, I use an 8ft  smith and a stella 10kfa for heavy rock popping in Mauritius. My all round set up for the shore is a 9ft rod with an 8000 size sustain sw which I can put a 65g popper on PE4 near the 100m mark. I know if I cast metal on the same set up I can reach over a 100m with just a flick under the tip overhead cast.

The common rods I've seen people using here are Tica, shakespeare, penn and silstar, although blue marlin rods are availaible locally.

May be it's time for me to get a carpenter Oma 9,2 tuna or an LR for my shorefishing here, still deciding?
 ;)
Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:52:32 PM by Kevin Li

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 07:04:08 PM
Hey kevin are you from mauritius?

well there's a few locals fishing at "La Cambuse" on the rockledge on the right side of the beach. they definitely fish with 4m purglas. that rock ledge is one of the best landbased spot for GT popping.

cheers
bertrand

Kevin Li

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2009, 11:13:43 PM
Indeed,I'm from Mauritius. Is that tthe place where you have to go through sugarcane fields and a private property to reachh an isolated beach?

I usually fish Albion, jacotet bay, klondike,roche noire for popping.

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 08, 2009, 04:13:17 AM
Are there any good spots in the north of the island ?

Will be there next year and would love to try catching a GT from the shore.

Regards,

Serge.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 08, 2009, 08:49:37 AM
When I first started popping I used an overhead, in 2 days i didn't get any birds nests. Problem is tho to not get any knots you have to have sufficient drag on the free spool and this severely affects casting distance! Its a fine line.

Land based? Say you get one over run, then you have to strip all that tangled line off onto the rocks and all those barnacles, get one slight nick in your braid, next fish POP!
One advantage would be line capacity!

I guess all in all it can be done, it has been done, but is it ideal?
My opinion not so ideal.