John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Townsville 18/11/09
November 19, 2009, 01:35:24 AM
Hey Guys

With some magic weather hitting north queensland at the moment a GT trip was organised
out of Townsville with the Rob and Danny from Tackle world also one of there regular crew
Peter (super deckie ;D) who is also a member on this forum, we headed out from townsville
in robs 21 Contender almost a 2 hour run to our first spot.

once arriving we circumnavigated the first reef and found very little current and the bait was spread out and sitting down deep, not the ideal scenario but we still managed to find a couple
of smaller fish along with a nice trout ( dam fin fish closure !!) we also got a good laugh
watching danny get smashed up by a very large trout over a nice bombie, and spotted what we thought was a huge shark swimming on the surface so we motored over for a closer look at what turned out to be a whale shark about 4 meters in length, what an awesome looking creature, this
was a highlight for me having never seen one before, things were looking up  

next we moved over to another reef system a few mile away and instantly found some good current and the fishing was starting to pick up with some more nice fish coming aboard mostly in the 8 to 12kg mark along with peter catching a huge barracuda for a bit of variety, after this the fishing started to fire up with the fusilier schools starting to pack up the fish started feeding more frequently and there were numerous hook ups which included a double hook up witch turned into a triple hook up as a school of gts followed the hooked fish all the way to the boat and then hung around while they waited for there mates to come back for a swim. the fish we encounted were a better size that afternoon and a couple were over the 20kg mark but the best fish was caught by rob as we were about leave when we had a school of fish underneath the boat his popper was sitting
in the water next to the boat when the biggest fish in the pack came up and smashed it !!

it was pretty amazing to hear the strike of a gt next the boat like that especially with only about 2 meters of line out he was lucky not to lose everything over the side as he wasnt even watching when it hit !!!!  after a solid fight the fish was subdued and bought aboard quickly measuring its length to the fork it went 119cm and was a very solid fish that we estimated about the 32kg mark this was a solid end to a day that started slowly.

after this we decided to call it a day and made the run back to townsville, a great day was had by everyone and after a few attempts we finally got to have a fish together after talking about it
for over a year now, so i wanted to give a big cheer out to rob, danny and pete for a great day and hopefully not too long before we have another crack thanks guys

Poppers that were most succesful this trip were the 150 cubera, 140 ebipop and gt mania, also a
little sinking orion stick bait which drew strikes when the poppers produced nothing earlier in the day, rods used were xzoga, ripple fishers,yamaga and saltiga rods with stella and saltiga spin reels

cheers

Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:44:23 AM by John Campbell

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Townsville 18/11/09
November 19, 2009, 07:49:54 AM
Johnny, you can I am sure imagine how I write this with mixed emotions  ::)

Seriously though sounds like a great day, some nice fish in amongst that bunch and sounds like the smaller ones kept you entertained between them. How bloody good do those conditions look?!

Also, how awesome are those whale sharks? We had one swimming alongside the boat in new cal for a while that was nearly as big as the (37 foot) boat...I was so awestruck that I didn't even get a picture of it, just watched it for about 3 or 4 minutes

Well done on a top day, hope there are plenty more for you over summer bro

Anthony Robinson

November 19, 2009, 12:33:31 PM
well done guys, weather looks amazing, can't think of anything else i'd rather be doing on a day like that, sure beats work, great report John

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
November 19, 2009, 05:03:12 PM
Great report, superb images,fantastic fish and incredible conditions!@!!

Great all round!!!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 19, 2009, 10:36:49 PM

Thanks guys has been a pretty good year for weather this year compared to the last few

Hey Scott i know that must have been hard to see, especially after our quiet trip a couple of
weeks ago, but if your emotions were mixed with that report you going to be cranky with the report from todays effort  ;)  cheers mate hopefully weather comes good over xmas and you fly up here
and we will grab lachy and go for a fish  :)

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 20, 2009, 08:06:51 AM
Just keep posting them John, good to see you getting into a few. Still can't believe that glasssed otu water, awesome.

I will be taking an outfit or two and a few poppers to Brisbane just in case there is a window of a few days to duck up, that is how keen I am, so hopefully it will come off

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 20, 2009, 10:38:06 PM

Hey Scott,

yesterday was pretty much a carbon copy of our darlys trip a month ago, this time on the back
of the new moon which didnt seem to affect the bite too much, best thing was i finally caught
a decent red bass at 7kg (yippy), and a nice flowery cod close to 10kg, finally saw some genuine
monster fish amongst the smaller ones so getting excited about the summer of popping to come !!

fingers crossed for x mas mate

here a few pics from yesterday

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 21, 2009, 01:43:35 PM
What can I say but nice bro, very very nice

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2009, 07:54:53 PM
great couple of trips john, wish i didnt have to work, p.s rob wishes he beat the record ;-).. may be heading out fri for a jig jig!!
PoPpInG mAd

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2009, 09:00:19 PM

Hey Tom

Yeah its good to get out during the week, no need to pay the extra $50 for parking on the grass  ;)
as soon as the fish came into the boat it was on, i did'nt see your fish but the photos
of robs fish dont really do it justice ( too weak to lift it higher  ;D) but it was a nice fish
hopefully the weather drops nicely for you on fri, i will be thinking of you guys when i am at work
 >:(

cheers john

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 26, 2009, 07:07:41 PM
i give it to rob everyday.. haha yes ill keep you posted on our trip tomorrow
PoPpInG mAd