jason koh

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Main Line For Popping
November 27, 2009, 05:41:04 PM
Can anyone recommend me, good main line for popping? Cheers! Hookup!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Main Line For Popping
November 27, 2009, 06:06:09 PM
For me , best quality is Varivas Avani GT Max and best value is Tufline XP .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

jason koh

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 08:36:58 PM
Thanx Jon.Have you try Jerry Brown or YGK?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 09:00:07 PM
Tried YGKs , Varivas is marginally better but on Jerry Brown the jury is still out , we were discussing the splicable of this line while fishing with Andy Rowe n Gus Connor over a week ago , may be Andrew can fill in on Jerry Brown .

Jon .  
Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:20:45 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 09:13:45 PM
While Varivas GT is still my favourite, I think the 100lb Jerry Brown solid spectra is outstanding at its price. I regard it as superior to the TF XP in this poundage.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 09:22:52 PM
Hey Brandon,

Have you noticed any 'different feels' with the colours of the Jerry Brown.

I have both green and yellow and the yellow seems to have a waxy coating to it compared to the green which feels really smooth and nice.. ???

OR is it just me... ??? :-\

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 10:48:53 PM
the waxy feeling disappears with a little use. I only use the red though.

Hey Brandon,

Have you noticed any 'different feels' with the colours of the Jerry Brown.

I have both green and yellow and the yellow seems to have a waxy coating to it compared to the green which feels really smooth and nice.. ???

OR is it just me... ??? :-\

Pete

jason koh

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 03:12:49 AM
Hey Guys, thanks for your advice. Anyone try GT popping @ Andaman Sea, please advice.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 01:15:05 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for your advice. Anyone try GT popping @ Andaman Sea, please advice.

A few of our members have fished the Andamans for GTs, do a search and you should find plenty of info.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 04:23:01 AM
anyone tried jb solid spectra in the 65lb? any thoughts? i wanted to use it to fish 8-12 kg of drag, do you think the braid is up to it and is there anymore headroom for a kg or two more drag?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 11:13:06 AM
Tried YGKs , Varivas is marginally better but on Jerry Brown the jury is still out , we were discussing the splicable of this line while fishing with Andy Rowe n Gus Connor over a week ago , may be Andrew can fill in on Jerry Brown .

Jon .  

I used some JB 100lb hollow on a recent trip, very happy with it, casts well, fairly tough and I'm going to splice some more on top to re-fill the spool, it's well priced and it handled biggish GT's without breaking. I think it will largely replace my varivas PE8 spools.
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 11:50:33 AM
I think it undersells the JB hollow core just a little to say the jury is still out on it, Jon. It's been proven time and again in many areas around the world.

Jon .  

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 03:43:37 PM
I think it undersells the JB hollow core just a little to say the jury is still out on it, Jon. It's been proven time and again in many areas around the world.

Jon .  

Hi Brandon ,

Not trying to undersell anything but I still have a few Varivas Avani GTMax  bulk spools of Tuffline XP albeit I do have 1 spool of JB 80 lbs. white coloured line which I bought awhile ago , I guess I must try it but has no empty spool to fill at the moment .

Jon .

adrien antunes

November 29, 2009, 07:30:56 PM
Jon ,

Try  "Blackwater Super Braid X16 Hollow "a really smooth hollow braid

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 11:03:39 PM
is there any advantage of going holow if you dont splice?

anyone care to give an opinion on the max drag that jerry brown 65lb solid cant be fished?

Cheers