Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
to anchor or not to anchor??
November 28, 2009, 03:13:47 PM
Hi all,

Was just wondering when you guys pop around rocks or shallow reef wheather you put the anchor out or just drift?

Have been out for a couple half hearted attempts in my little tinny around Broome but find that before I know it I need to start the motor back up and head further away from the rocks after only a couple casts.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: to anchor or not to anchor??
November 28, 2009, 03:49:25 PM
Never anchor as most of the time when someone hooks up you need drive the fish out. Also, you mention having to start the motor back up, we always keep it idling precisely for the reason already mentioned.

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 04:04:06 PM
Hey Dave how have you been going on the GT's in Broome?

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 04:48:00 PM
Never anchor as most of the time when someone hooks up you need drive the fish out. Also, you mention having to start the motor back up, we always keep it idling precisely for the reason already mentioned.
cheers for that jay... now you mention it that is a good idea. Will keep that in mind hope to get out this arvo ;)

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 04:53:04 PM
Hey Dave how have you been going on the GT's in Broome?

Havnt raised any fish on the poppers yet but i have only just started popping out of my boat as most of my fishing is landbased. With my litle tinnie and the westerlies that blow over the wet season it limits the options i have to fish. Still keen as though they have to be around here somewhere... just havnt found that "somewhere" spot yet :D

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 05:31:05 PM
Launch at Leveque and head South ;)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 12:34:07 AM

Ha! you took the words right out of my mouth  ;D

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 10:18:21 AM
Without giving too much away how far south would you be heading? I only have an old narrow 4.2m tinnie with a 20 on the back. The only other thing is I dont know if the old trailer would make it up that dirt road. Have to keep my ears open for when they grade it next. Cheers for the help its much appreciated guys

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 29, 2009, 08:06:41 PM
Definitely drift, undecided on motor on or off - I do both depending on whims of fancy.  If I can set up a good drift and get 10 or so casts in i'll turn it off, if it's just two or three casts and the current is pushing onto the rocks then leave it running.