Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE4 rod advice
November 02, 2009, 02:22:35 AM
At the moment I have two jigging outfits for off my local, a 6' PE3 rod rated to 180g which I use mainly in shallower (30m and less) often with taikabura jigs and smaller butterfly style jigs and I also have a heavier 5'3" PE5 rod rated to 300g which I use mainly out deeper with heavier conventional jigs. I want to fill a bit of a gap as I've been in situations where I've wanted to use heavier taikabura jigs (200g) out in the deeper areas and they're a bit outside the limits of my PE3 gear but my PE5 gear just isn't suitable for working this style of jigs. Any recommendations? Was thinking a Smith AMJ-
S56M which is rated to 230g... but would the length be ok?

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: PE4 rod advice
November 02, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
Hi Jay, I think that would be a nice rod for what you are after, it has a fairly whippy tip that can really give jigs in the right weight rating some nice action. I have the 54H and I know guys with both the 52EX and 56M, I have used all three, they are really nice rods.

The other option might be a Jigging Master Power Spell 200 or 250, but these are a slightly heavier rod I think than the Smith.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
November 02, 2009, 11:04:41 AM
Mate HOTS 54M is a great rod for light tackle..

Dan Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 03, 2009, 10:06:02 AM
Hi Jay

Go the Smith! I got a 56M/TwinPowerSW 6000PG for lighter kingie jigging off Sydney. Handles up to 230g jigs with ease and light enought to work all day. The recoil/recovery even at the high end of the recommended load imparts a great action on the lures. You've really got to drive the hook home, but it bends from the butt and can take some drag.

I'm bringing that brute JM500 of yours back to Perth in a couple of weeks to pull the heads off some Sambo's or the plug out of the ocean, whichever is braver.

Dan

Scottg

November 25, 2009, 11:33:38 PM
Jigging master 250g for sure...cannot not fault it! If you can get your hands on one, test them out and compare with the other brands you have mentioned. Good luck

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 03:10:24 PM
Jigging master 250g for sure...cannot not fault it! If you can get your hands on one, test them out and compare with the other brands you have mentioned. Good luck

JM rods are nice but they're too short for the style of fishing I'll be doing.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 03:18:07 PM
I'm seriously thinking about a Valley Hill 'Jack the Ripper' which is 5'7" and rated up to 230g jig weight, does anyone have any experience with this model? Failing that, I might fall back on a Ripple Fisher 577 which is 5'7" and rated to 220g.

Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 08:34:06 PM
Hi Jay
I think Rocco has one up here in Karratha but not sure if it is the "Jack the Ripper" I'm pretty sure it's a Valley Hill. If it is the rod I'm thinking of it is a nice rod for the depths we have here around Dampier and the the size jigs your looking at.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 09:47:46 PM
Hi Jay
I think Rocco has one up here in Karratha but not sure if it is the "Jack the Ripper" I'm pretty sure it's a Valley Hill. If it is the rod I'm thinking of it is a nice rod for the depths we have here around Dampier and the the size jigs your looking at.

Thanks Zac, if you could possibly find out which model it is that would be great.