Bernard Tracey

Is it worth the wait?
December 06, 2009, 10:18:30 PM
It's only been a year now. I know it is not that long in Carpenter land but I am still waiting for a Coral Viper. Is it worth the wait? Should I go the Ripple Fisher 79R, something else or just Hurry up and wiat?
This will be my only top end Popping/Stickbait rod for many years, PE 8/10 based in North Queensland (will see a fair bit of the outer GBR). I know I should have half a dozen, but that is not an option. I am a very experienced angler ( on a tight budget) and would greatly appreciate the opinion of anyone, who is in a position, to be able to use products of this caliber on a regular basis. Thanks for your help Bernard.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is it worth the wait?
December 06, 2009, 10:53:19 PM
Bernard, there is no guarantee that a CV79 RF40 will be available in 2010 here either. Can I say though, the CV79 RF40 is a PE8 rod - it is not a PE10 rod and I would not be recommending that you load it up with PE10 against some huge beast and go real hard with it.

In terms of what would be a suitable alternative, that depends on what lures (in terms of type and weight) you want to use with it. What made you decide on the Coral Viper in the first place? I assume you know there are two models - the RF40 and the RF35?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Bernard Tracey

December 06, 2009, 11:29:36 PM
Thanks Brandon . The RF40 is the rod I am after. As I am limited to one top end outfit and given the area I fish (the GBR Cairns/Townsville) the best option in my mind, for an all rounder is something that will Pop Poppers up to 125/150 and Stickbaits that and a bit bigger.

The fish in this area are not all monster class as you would know and I fully appreciate the problems with trying to find just one perfect outfit. I think what I am trying to say is I am looking for something that will best suit 95% of the time and I understand I will be under gunned when it comes to that Fish of a lifetime (and it won't be the first time). I fish for the love of it, not to prove anything to anyone and would greatly appreciate the finer points of rod that would meet these requirements.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 12:55:21 AM
Thanks Brandon . The RF40 is the rod I am after. As I am limited to one top end outfit and given the area I fish (the GBR Cairns/Townsville) the best option in my mind, for an all rounder is something that will Pop Poppers up to 125/150 and Stickbaits that and a bit bigger.

The fish in this area are not all monster class as you would know and I fully appreciate the problems with trying to find just one perfect outfit. I think what I am trying to say is I am looking for something that will best suit 95% of the time and I understand I will be under gunned when it comes to that Fish of a lifetime (and it won't be the first time). I fish for the love of it, not to prove anything to anyone and would greatly appreciate the finer points of rod that would meet these requirements.

Don't discount the SP80M this is a fantastic GT rod in the middle 6-8 class you are looking at, faster action so not as ideally suited to sticks as the CV but it will suffice in a pinch and it casts further, it is also quite a powerful rod and you may be amazed by what you can achieve with it. I have not experienced casting anything heavier than 150 gm with it though.

And I believe it is still available...food for thought.

Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:00:07 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 07:31:42 AM
I don't think Bernard is going to find locating a SP80M any more easily here than the Coral Viper! There's been no stock for quite some time locally.

Unfortunately, based on your description of what you're after, the RF40 is the ideal rod. As Andy has pointed out, an 80M is a decent substitute. A Ripple 79R is also a substitute but not quite the same.

Ripple do have a new product that has not quite arrived locally yet - the Ultimo PE10 stickbait rod. This one has a slightly firmer tip than the PE8 model and would handle poppers up to about 150g in weight as well.

Bernard Tracey

December 07, 2009, 10:42:15 AM
Thanks for your help guys! Sounds like hurry up and wait might be the best option.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 02:18:22 PM
Bernard, the ripples are great rods and i've been waiting to get a look at their new PE10 stick bait offering, i have to agree with Brandon when comparing the 2 brands though....

Although the the CV79/40 is an awesome rod if i had to choose between the SP80M and the CV79/40 as one rod to take hunting it may just be the SP80M...

And i hear they are still available if not in Aussie.
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 04:59:43 PM
My post wasn't meant to convey that the Ripple inferior to the Carpenter - simply that if you're looking for a rod with similar characteristics to a CV79 RF40 that the Ripple 79R isn't the same. The Ripple is a heavier rod and predominately a popping rod.

The CV79 is (to me) the pick of the PE8 multi-purpose rods. It was designed this way and it fits the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, they're not that easy to find.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 05:05:25 PM
.....and Bernard, can I say, there is obviously considerable experience in the way in which you have decided on your choice of a rod. In my opinion, a lot of people would benefit from thinking the same way instead of chasing stump pullers. Lighter rods are more comfortable to fish with for long periods of time and are significantly easier to cast a decent distance.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 07, 2009, 05:06:19 PM
The Ripple 79R is more of a popper rod but it works stickbaits up to 160gms or so reasonably well too. It is great for those 125-150gm poppers which the fish around that Townsville area seem to love

I haven't handled the CV and whilst it is lighter than the 79R, the 79R is, to me, plenty light enough and easy enough to use that you can use it all day quite comfortably

If you can't get a CV within a reasonable time, I reckon the RF 79R is a good all rounder type rod for what you are after. It has a nice bend in it too, so it is still fun on those 12-15kg fish.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2009, 01:53:23 PM
Guys ,

CV79/40RF SHP will be available by mid 2010 , this has been confirmed by Carpenter and we still have limited number of SP80M in stock .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .