Chris Wong

Re: What PE equals what in pounds
June 28, 2007, 06:37:31 PM
I have to agree with Benk and most of what is said from others.  To simplify - just multiply PE by 10 to get lbs test.  Consider it a bonus in reserve strenght if it happens to be an expensive PE8 Varivas line with over 100lb strenght.  If you have to have a line with truely accurate test figures, then switch to IGFA mono  - thats guaranteed!

At times I wonder about rod ratings expressed in lbs or PE i.e. the USA Trevela rods have one that is rated for 200lb braid use!!!  Well I suppose as long as the line can run through the guides you can use it!  Hmmm, maybe I can run some 5mm rope, that will run through the guides and I'll never get busted off!

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 29, 2007, 04:41:02 AM
High guys,
Despite the way it looked from my previous post I happen to agree with you. Ben, Brandon, and as you say Chris it is only a guide. My fly rods are rated by line weight and have very little to do with the fighting power. I am also a fairly experienced rod builder and my rods go through deflection tests etc, so I generally know what I am working with and what is safe for a blank to handle. But with PE ratings varying by so much according to the various brands and a somewhat alien measurement system it could be quite confusing to the less initiated. However the question has been answered, and answered well.

SHizz

July 05, 2007, 09:54:49 PM
After testing a number of "PE" braids i still think like everyone else said :

PE_ x 10 = __ lbs

For instance Daiwa Hyper PE 90lb was breaking wayyy closer to 60lb. The knot strength is usually a fair bit different to whats on the box. But its not just daiwa , most braids PE or not break below what they say with a few exceptions.