Phil Russell

TI Rig
December 28, 2009, 11:39:40 PM
G-day Guys

I'm heading off to TI in 3 weeks then heading out for six days island hopping chasing some GT's. This will be my first trip of this sort so I am looking at purchasing a good rod for casting poppers and stick baits that I won't have to mortgage the house over. After some research online and some great tackle stores I have narrowed it down to the Blue water T -curve 15 to 24 spin, as the GT special from what i understand will probally be a bit heavy for a gp rod and matching it up with the Saragossa 8000 or maybe the saltist 6500. Also what braid would be the way to go. Also what leader, The deepest it gets to is 25 mt but mostly shallow reefs so no time to let them run,  should I up it to 80 from 50 pnd or not.If any one would like to donate any poppers or sticks it would be appreciated (no harm is asking)

Cheers

Phil Russell

Re: TI Rig
January 03, 2010, 10:23:55 AM
G- day steve

Thanx for that I will be taking 8kg spinning gear as well if we are stuck in close but we are hopfully heading out to poruma then up to Maer land and may head out to the outer pending weather, My brothers last Gt's  went 15 and 25kg plus.
(busy praticing new knots.)
cheers
Phil

steve wallin

Re: TI Rig
January 04, 2010, 01:13:49 PM
No sweat Phil,
Hope the weather is good for ya!

I use a bluewaterTcurve 15-24kg.  Just this week gone pulled my best ever G on it... went 125cm fork length and at a guess +/- 35kg.  Was in relatively good country.  Havent used the GT special but for the price it also looked the goods when I played with one in the tackle shop??

Have fun!!  Weather has been awesome here in Cooktown for nearly 2 weeks, just blowing again today so I can recover from multiple multiple trips!

Steve