Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two Piece Rod Ferrules
June 24, 2007, 05:39:19 PM
I just fixed a two piece T-Curve jig 200 rod locked tight in an offset position, its now got a couple of scratches but nothing structural :(, it's not the 1st time I've had the problem on all sorts of rods as the only obvious thing to grip is the runners [no go area]. What is the solution to the tight rod problem and what is the best preventative? :-\.
  Ive been told things like 'beeswax', 'lanolin based oils', 'WD40' etc, at the moment I'm giving Graphite Powder a go which looks promising. :)
 What do you other rod carrying Island Hopping fisho's use? ;)
Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:10:37 PM by Brandon Khoo
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Two Piece Rod Ferrels
June 24, 2007, 05:54:52 PM
I had the same problem with my saltiga 80TN as well....I had to put ice on it to cool it down to separate it. But Im not too sure either what is best ...the only thing I was told is to rub it on your forehead before putting it together as the natural oil helps....the downside is you like like a twit, it doesnt work unless your head is really oily, and then you spend the day fishing with some black mark on your forehead you dont know about. I might give the graphite powder a go to. I was warned off using other agents so they dont penetrate the carbon in the rods -but dont how true that is.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 24, 2007, 06:19:56 PM
Had the same problem with a T-Curve 400 ended up having to put vice grips on it to get it apart while my dad and i both cringed,it worked but as you say Greg [Bun]it left some scratches on it.There must be a better way,another bad thing we did was to lick the rod before putting it together ,not sure if this is good or not but did not help it to come apart.The natural hair style oil sounds like a solution.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Perrie Thomas

June 24, 2007, 10:15:16 PM
the face oil tech is an old fly fishing gig, though i was told by an old salt to rub the ferrel on the side of your nose as this is the area that is naturally the most oily...apart from that i use NuFinish polish when a rod is completed and if its a 2 piece i give the male ferrel a good coat and buff. i advise to keep an eye on the female section as well, after a trip get a light coloured soft cloth, screw it into a spike, slide it down the shaft untill its tight and give it a good twist, youll be surprised how much dust and crap comes out !

lonhro

June 25, 2007, 10:51:22 AM
howdy fella's,
One thing i can suggest to not use is WD40 it work's but too well not sure about a jigging rod but i know on a popping rod it can cause the rod to fly apart while you are casting. the other down side is it hard to get rid of the residues of the WD40 so the problem keeps happening.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2007, 12:56:01 PM
do you guys use a rod belt? It sure makes life easier!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2007, 03:31:27 PM
Brandon,
 "please explain!"
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Neil Griffiths

June 25, 2007, 06:05:01 PM
After a few big fish it's not unusual for butt joined rods to get very tight. What you need is to get a good grip on the top section and not damage the rod. One of the best ways(and this is probably similar to what Brandon does) is to wrap a quality rod wrap spirally, neoprene side to blank, around the rod, the soft rubbery part will grip the blank and not slip, this will provide a sure grip on the top section and with another bloke holding the bottom grip of the rod allow you to exert enough force to twist and pull the rod apart. Suitable wraps include ones from Daiwa, Snowbee and ATC.
By the way most manufacturers seem to recommend no substances on the joins. A lot of problems can come from foreign matter on the join surfaces. Once the rod is apart, try jamming a clean cloth all the way into the female section and wiping the inside thoroughly, this often solves the problem.

Laurie Banks

June 25, 2007, 08:47:26 PM
I was told that shimano are going to put a rough finish in front of the front grip of a new range of jig rods to stop you from grabbing the first guide .
It will make you shudder at the idea , but a coat of epoxy where most rods have the decorative bind with something in it to give it a rough texture might work.
Laurie.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2007, 10:23:58 PM
Brandon,
 "please explain!"

what Neil said.
George Pang showed me a method he uses whereby he holds the rod behind his back with both hands. He then bends down until the rod is behind his kneecaps and then he spreads his knees apart which separates ther two pieces of the rod apart. It is simple but just so effective. Best method I have come upon. if this doesn't make sense, let me know and when I get back to Oz, I will take a couple of photos of what I mean. You need a rod belt for this otherwise you can't get a grip. No doubt Neil would sell these.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Two Piece Rod Ferrules
July 05, 2007, 09:09:44 PM
Here is a picture of a rod belt and another of how you wrap it around a rod.
You cannot believe how easy it makes the task of inserting and separating the two pieces. I regard it now as an essential piece of equipment. It is a very small investment which can make life very easy.

Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:12:49 PM by Brandon Khoo

Neil Griffiths

July 06, 2007, 08:32:32 AM
After a few sessions on big GT's a butt joined rod may get so tight that it will require two people and the rod wrap technique to get them apart.
It seems that in most of these cases there is salt crystals on the join surfaces creating undue friction. Once they where cleaned out they went back to normal.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 03:29:03 PM
I've had this! I tend to separate the rods at the end of each day and give it a wipe down to ensure I don't get the build up. It is not a pleasant experience when you are packing at the end of the trip and you can't separate your rods in order to fit them into your rod tube.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 08, 2007, 10:40:44 PM
I've had this! I tend to separate the rods at the end of each day and give it a wipe down to ensure I don't get the build up. It is not a pleasant experience when you are packing at the end of the trip and you can't separate your rods in order to fit them into your rod tube.

Stop sending money to Fumio Brandon!!! ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 09, 2007, 09:08:50 PM
I knew I was never going to get away with that one! It's not like I don't have an rod belts but at something like $8AUD in Hong Kong, well, I had to get something   ;D