warren yuile

Re: Where to throw a popper
July 22, 2007, 03:42:39 PM
Whats the bottom like azza if its not to snagy you could cast a jig and let it sit on the bottom then wind it through the larger fish back Woz

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 22, 2007, 04:08:19 PM
Aaron, if the little guys are only about 30cm in lengh, they're not going to be in a position to attack a decent sized lure. A sinking stickbait will get down to them so it may be worth trying. Another thing is perhaps a big soft plastic. GTs actually really like these. If chuggers are not working, perhaps a big pencil popper might get them going.

As you've probably gathered, I'm not too proud to try anything to catch a fish if I can't get it the conventional way.

Unfortunately, sometimes, the damn fish are just not feeding. Anyone who has fished for a long time will have experienced those terrible times when you can see amazing fish but you just can't get them to feed! The one good thing to take from this is that you know the big fish are there and that they will feed sometime! Persevere and I'm sure you will succeed. GTs are simply too voracious a predator to stay quiet for long. In water that depth, I'd encourage you to persevere with chuggers. I am certain you will get one sooner or later.

You can imagine how envious you're making those of us who live in places like Sydney having access to areas like that!!
Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:39:51 PM by Luke Wyrsta
If it swims; I want to catch it!

aaron

July 22, 2007, 08:22:14 PM
wazza,your on a winner there!tryed that tonight and was smashed!!!silly me was fishing a bit to light and could not stop him from reaching the structure...   

aaron

July 22, 2007, 08:31:50 PM
brandon, i know what u mean.i only moved here here about 8months ago from just north of sydney.when i got here and started looking around i could not belive it! it  is paradise,so many fish.the only poppers i have are halco haymakers.the locals up here go pretty good on these.the tackle shops here dont have a wide range of poppers.if you would be able to help me out in sum brands and names of sum pencil poppers and stickbaits ect many i can search sum shops on the net.thanks heaps

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 22, 2007, 08:37:03 PM
brandon, i know what u mean.i only moved here here about 8months ago from just north of sydney.when i got here and started looking around i could not belive it! it  is paradise,so many fish.the only poppers i have are halco haymakers.the locals up here go pretty good on these.the tackle shops here dont have a wide range of poppers.if you would be able to help me out in sum brands and names of sum pencil poppers and stickbaits ect many i can search sum shops on the net.thanks heaps

Hi Aaron,

You can get some great poppers, pencils and stickbaits from Neil at Jones's Tackle - good pricing for members and he can express post so that you recieve it ASAP.

More information and contact details for Jones's Tackle

You can also read more about poppers and pencils in this article.
You can also read more about stickabits in this article

aaron

July 22, 2007, 08:55:18 PM
thanks luke,really looking forward to trying diffrent kinds of poppers

warren yuile

July 23, 2007, 09:06:27 PM
another way azza is to man up and get yourself castable 14# fly rod and 1 of the lines with a 70lb core and a big sparse flashy  profile fly like the ones I use for marlin but a bit lighter you would be abel to fish it deep and slow keep it in front of them until 1 makes a mistake when you come down I will show you what I mean Woz